HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FASTANDLOWAVENGER

smoke after let off throttle

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1995 xr600r and it smokes a bit after i let off the throttle.The oil level was fine maybe even a little high.I would say no big deal but its plated and i am sure the people behind me don't much like it.I was wondering if the oil level was to high would it make it do this?If not what else might do it?

After deceleration and subsequent application of throttle, if a puff of smoke appears and then the smoke stops, the valve stem seals are leaking.

what do you consider a big job? lmao my 86 smokes on decel but its not bad I am planning on doing a complete rebuild next winter unless it pusses the issue its not to bad. honestly some one thats a little mechanically inclined can do it. it helps if you have a shop manual too

If it smokes just a little, I'd just watch my oil level.

Got my forks on and my oil changed, just need to get it inspected. Get yours done yet?

Dave

YA I GOT IT ON THE ROAD ON FRIDAY AND PLAN ON INSPECTION THIS THURSDAY.i ALSO HAVE A USED HEADLIGHT COMING AND WHILE ITS APART I WANT TO CHANGE THE SWITCH.LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR GOING TO RIDE.

Sounds more like rings to me. Decel (compression/engine braking ) causes a greater vacuum inside the cylinder because the carb slide is closed. If the rings are worn, this vacuum will suck a very small amount of oil up past the rings into the cylinder. This tiny bit of oil burns away quickly when throttle is reapplied. If it has decent power, I would not worry about it much unless other drivers start complaining about your smoky exhaust or unless you happen to come upon some spare money and time. Just keep an eye on the oil level - it's not going to blow up unless you let it run very low.

Agreed, smoking on decel would indicate ring wear. Smoke on start-up would be caused by leaking valve guides/seals. Maybe do wet/dry compression test?

What Should The Compression Be At? I Will Give It A Shot But If I Can Get It To Last The Season I Will Go Through The Motor Next Year.