What style Jets to buy for Dave's mods on an 07 XL650L?

Ok, I apologize in advance because I know the Dave’s Mods questions have been asked and asked to death by every newbie that shows up, but…

I have never messed with a carburetor in my life. I knew there was a jet, but had no idea there was more than one! After much reading on this and other forums I am going to attempt Dave’s mods. I started looking for where to buy the 55/158 jets described in Dave’s Mods, but the Dyno Jet web page has several different styles!

Can someone tell me the style or provide links to the correct jets used in Daves Mods? I’ll be using the stock exhaust, riding mostly at sea level. The only mods I plan on for a while will be the De-smog and Daves.

i'm not a lot of help, but i am also in process of doing mods as take a quick time out to think things thru. it took a couple trips to tt forums and the parts store before i could put things together. i bought the new pilots and main thru this thumpertalk store, including the dynojet jet kit that comes with the spring needed for carb.

pilot jet part# 421995

d-jet part# 401147

baja kit for de-smog part# 442211

exhaust white bros e2 part# 18210302

uni air fillter part# 144118

filter service kit w/oil spray can part#145015

i hope that helps. i know i found it difficult to navigate the online store but after a couple trips there and a can of monster soda, i figured out how to get the items i was after. AND you can call them on week days. i didn't call, yet i let them know exactly what i was looking for and the model and asked for help in making sure my order was correct.

i ordered sunday and the parts came in friday and i already have the bike torn down, can't wait to finish. but, i am going to let the bike shop next door handle the carb jetting and drilling.

good luck

Always remember, we were all new to this at one time so no need to apologize:prof: Also, I was very confused about styles and part numbers so I just called the TT store and they walked me through it and sent the right ones. Easy as pie:ride:

NO! Main jet is round...That is a hex jet. They use them mostly in two stroke carbs.

Long one could be the right pilot/slow jet. If it is 23.5 mm long. If it is longer,it is a 21 series jet, which is wrong.

26 series pilot jets are 23.5 mm long (15/16 inches) , which are the correct ones. On closer inspection, your pilot is a 21 series(wrong). Probably 28mm long (about 1 5/16 inches)

KEIHIN JETS

You will notice that there is no application listed below the 26 series jets..This is because of a "deal" honda did with Kiehin to make the carb/jet exclusively for honda.

Thus Honda has a better chance of raping you at the parts counter. Solution...www.carbparts.com...Ask for Jeff:prof:

If you ever add an aftermarket exhuast, free flowing air filter, air box mods, change altitudes, etc. You may need to go up a jet. $5 jet is gonna cost you $5 to ship. Might as well get all four jets that you might need at the same time. I got the 55 and 58 pilots and 155 and 160 mains. No changing in the shipping.

If you ever add an aftermarket exhuast, free flowing air filter, air box mods, change altitudes, etc. You may need to go up a jet. $5 jet is gonna cost you $5 to ship. Might as well get all four jets that you might need at the same time. I got the 55 and 58 pilots and 155 and 160 mains. No changing in the shipping.

yup...but the 58 pilot wus way rich for me even with grinding header welds, SuperTrapp Race w/13 disks and open airbox...160 main and 55 pilot wus the ticket fo me...?

?

P.S. ...with shimming the needle and drilled slide.

• 2 months later...