HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Memnok

Engine dies with loud CLUNK when cold.

6 posts in this topic

On two separate occasions now I have been warming the engine when it died with a loud clunk, like something in the case hit something. On both occasions the engine was cold and had been idling for about a minute on half choke when I gave the throttle a little blip/twist.

Now I know that sometimes a cold engine will bog and die while warming if you give it too much gas too quickly, so the engine dying is not my primary concern. But that bang is fairly worrisome. Has anyone else experienced this?

This is a bone stock 07 XRL with all the smog stuff still intact and only about 60 miles.

That clunk is the sound of the starter being engaged as the engine turns backwards briefly.

Dave

Yep.. Dave is right, Mine has done it also. It doesn't sound pleasant but, I have never had any issues from it either..

That clunk is the sound of the starter being engaged as the engine turns backwards briefly.
Yep.. Dave is right, Mine has done it also. It doesn't sound pleasant but, I have never had any issues from it either..

I love you both! :prof: I was really dreading a bad, bad reply, but feel much better now! :bonk:

I wonder how many people were secretely worried about that clunk? I know I was, but just hadn't gotten around to asking the question. Ha.

The thunk you described is not exclusive to the XRL. My 1998 Suzuki DR350SE did the same thing. For added piece of mind, I had over 14,000 miles on that bike when I sold it. As the others have posted, though displeasant sounding, it doesn't cause damage.

-Joe