water in motor

Went for a mud ride yesterday ,no problem. Gave the bike a "good washing" wouldnt start after. still no start this morning. pulled the sparkplug, kicked it over, WATER coming out! Any tips on what to do next?

Seym

Been there, done that.

With the plug out, kick it through until no more water shoots out. Stand the bike up on end to pour out any water that may be in the exhaust. Clean the airbox and boot. Put in a clean and oiled air filter. You may also have debris in the carb float bowl and jets, so check and clean that.

Drain the oil, take out the oil filter and screen and clean them. Replace the oil with some cheap motor oil and put everything back together.

Get a new plug and start it. If it won't start by kicking, try pull starting it. Run it for a few minutes, then drain the oil again, check/clean the filter, and replace it again with cheap oil. The drained oil should look pretty clean by now. If it does, run it for a few minutes, drain the oil and replace it with whatever normal oil you use. If it doesn't, keep repeating the oil replacement until the oil comes out clean, then finally replace with good oil. Then you're back in business.

change the oil 2 or three 3 times or until it comes out not looking milkey Ive swamped mine out in a creek before and did the same thing. Also when you are spraying it off dont spray into the right side hand hold,it can fill up the airbox which will drain into the carb and cylinder if the air filter isnt waterproof.

Good luck

Eric

• 6 years later...

this is what i have done so far. took the plug out kicked it over until water quit coming out. need new plug. changed oil five times haven't rode it much lately because of the oil i don't wanna run it with black lookin oil. it starts normal runs normal a little worried i don't know much about 4 strokes

o ya sorry to bug ya but have you heard anything about these bikes cranks going. i bought my 07 second hand with 40 hours on it and i rode it about 20 hours and the crank went. should i change crank or piston at a certain time so they don't cause more damage in the motor if they go or should it be good. how long does the piston last also?

o ya sorry to bug ya but have you heard anything about these bikes cranks going. i bought my 07 second hand with 40 hours on it and i rode it about 20 hours and the crank went. should i change crank or piston at a certain time so they don't cause more damage in the motor if they go or should it be good. how long does the piston last also?

piston at about 40 hours and a crank at 80-100 hours.

but everything is different. you could have got a dud of a bearing from the factory..

or the guy who had it before you slacked like hell on keeping the bike up. another reason ill never buy a four stroke. you should be good now though as long as you keep fresh oil in it.

Been there, done that.

With the plug out, kick it through until no more water shoots out. Stand the bike up on end to pour out any water that may be in the exhaust. Clean the airbox and boot. Put in a clean and oiled air filter. You may also have debris in the carb float bowl and jets, so check and clean that.

Drain the oil, take out the oil filter and screen and clean them. Replace the oil with some cheap motor oil and put everything back together.

Get a new plug and start it. If it won't start by kicking, try pull starting it. Run it for a few minutes, then drain the oil again, check/clean the filter, and replace it again with cheap oil. The drained oil should look pretty clean by now. If it does, run it for a few minutes, drain the oil and replace it with whatever normal oil you use. If it doesn't, keep repeating the oil replacement until the oil comes out clean, then finally replace with good oil. Then you're back in business.

Cheap Oil? Can I use regular say 10/40 car oil to flush then normal 4 stroke motorcycle oil will that be good enough.