Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cadoewen

Picking the right flywheel weight

15 posts in this topic

i have an 06 450F that im going to do some harescrambles and local motos with. i am going to ride/race motocross,harescrambles and tight woods equally. so i am setting my bike up for a compromise between them. my bike seems to stall realy easy in the tight woods and my area is full of nasty rocks logs fallen trees and boulders so that seems to amplify stalling. im looking at the drd flywheels but i dont know if i should go for the 4 6 or 8oz weights. i want to add some luggabillity on the mx track without making my bike rev a whole lot slower and add some stall resistance/traction in the woods any help is appreciated.

I put a Steahly 9oz on my '07 450. I love it. The bike is way less high-strung off the bottom--it runs smoother without that jerky, chug-a-chug feeling (like its about ready to stall). Its much funner to ride in tighter trails now.

It did not tame down the overall acceleration of the bike one bit. I raced a GP event this last Sunday, wide open deep loam and the bike easily pulled through it, power wheelies, floating the front end up all the hills.

There's not one drawback to this mod from what I can tell.

DRD doesn't make weighted flywheels for the '06 and later models. Get the GYT-R off-road (+9 oz). I use one for exactly what you want to do with your bike, and it works great.

For the '04, I would use the DRD 8oz. The GYT-R off-road for that engine is not as heavy, and DRD has fantastic customer service.

I tried the GYTR 9 oz on my 07 and love it,I ride tight eastern woods,mx and harescramble and it was the best 89.00 mod I ever tried

thanks alot guys. thats exactly what was bothering me. i took the bike out last weekend and broke in some new trails it was borderline stalling all day. we have some EXTREMELY tight first gear sections and even though i added two teeth on the rear sprocket first gear was way too tall for most of it. ill get that 9 oz weight and i think ill grab a scotts damper too. id immagine it would work wonders in the rocks

For the '04, I would use the DRD 8oz. The GYT-R off-road for that engine is not as heavy, and DRD has fantastic customer service.

Ditto on the customer service! I returned my 6oz for the 8oz with a quick return from them. Just had to pay the shipping but it was worth it for my 05!

Flyin

Where did you get the GYTR for $89 at? I am about to order one for my 07 as well.

DRD doesn't make weighted flywheels for the '06 and later models. Get the GYT-R off-road (+9 oz). I use one for exactly what you want to do with your bike, and it works great.

+ ! :prof:

I see the flywheel at DRD are an exchange. does anyone switch back and forth? or is it that once you've gone weighted... you stay weighted. does anyone ever go back to the factory flywheel?

I see the flywheel at DRD are an exchange. does anyone switch back and forth? or is it that once you've gone weighted... you stay weighted. does anyone ever go back to the factory flywheel?
Not back to the factory flywheel, but to a different weight (heavier). Charged my card for the full price plus core and shipped the same day. When I got the new one, I pulled mine off and sent it in. When it got there, they reversed everything but the shipping they paid for, again, on the same day.