Acerbis handguards

Can someone post a pic of Acerbis Pro Ralley or similar handguards installed? I need to see what the grip cut looks like. I'm not sure how muh to take off. Thanks in advance.

Can someone post a pic of Acerbis Pro Ralley or similar handguards installed? I need to see what the grip cut looks like. I'm not sure how muh to take off. Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a crappier product sold :prof: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

Dig deep and spend the extra dough on the Cycra Pro Bends - they will pay for themselves in no time.

The grip end should be cut flush with the bar end. Seems to work with whatever hand gaurd brand. I have to back SXP on the Cycra quote but my Rally Pros did hold up pretty well on a few rocky get offs.

I can't think of a crappier product sold :bonk: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

Dig deep and spend the extra dough on the Cycra Pro Bends - they will pay for themselves in no time.

I've had to bash them back around the bars on the odd occasion times - but I've never suffered a broken lever - but then again I don't crash that often :prof:

I do a lot of technical slower speed riding where the crash speed is far lower than the desert rats........

They always rotate.....

every single ride I have to loosen mine off - point them in the right direction and tighten them back up again. its a PITA

Just hollow out the closed end.

I haven't had any issues of mine moving except right after I got the bike, that's when I just took it all apart, cleaned all the parts, took my time installing them, changing the angle that the inner mount sits at (I believe I flipped it over too), this jammed them nicely into that relatively tight area between the bars and crossbar, now they don't move at all and I've put it through a few field tests.

I never cut any length off the grip. I only open up the hole in the end to the inside diameter of the grip surface.

Same with the throttle tube I use a unibit (sheet metaldrill bit) on the end of the tube to open it up to the same diameter as the inside of the tube.

Motion Pro makes a grip cutter which is kinda trick if money is no object.

http://www.dirtrider.com/gearbag/141_0410_motion_pro/index.html But I think a careful cut with a sharp exacto knife will do the same thing.

I can't think of a crappier product sold :prof: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

It's not a matter of "digging deep". I'm sure someone else will post in time how good they are. I've learned to take all advice like this with a grain of salt.....

It's not a matter of "digging deep". I'm sure someone else will post in time how good they are. I've learned to take all advice like this with a grain of salt.....

Huh? I not sure what you are trying to say.

If you are taking exception to the "digging deep" part, then in no way was I implying you are cheap. On the contrary, I was passing on my own experience with the Acerbis Rally guards, and the fact that I could have bought a couple of the more expensive (and infinitely better IMHO) Cycras for the money spent on replacing the Acerbis.

I guess I just have to learn to shut my mouth:thumbsup:

I've seen them fold up in the woods. They did fine on a gravel road slide on my old bike. Depends on the crash and/or where you ride.

I have always left mine a little loose so that they dont break and more importantly, so I can knock them back around after they rotate. I mean, they are brush guards for the hands rather than lever guards and I cut my levers down anyway. Don't wanna break levers...ASV unbreakables. Additionally, I have found that the Acerbis guards give a little since they are not rigid steel which kinda dampens the forces placed on the bars when you clip a tree or whatever. Cycra equals bent bars sometimes. Just my 2 pennys.

Huh? I not sure what you are trying to say.

If you are taking exception to the "digging deep" part, then in no way was I implying you are cheap. On the contrary, I was passing on my own experience with the Acerbis Rally guards, and the fact that I could have bought a couple of the more expensive (and infinitely better IMHO) Cycras for the money spent on replacing the Acerbis.

I guess I just have to learn to shut my mouth:thumbsup:

No sweat, I had just found out that the clamps that came with them were too small. 7/8 instead of 1 1/8 so I was kinda p!ssed.....

Easiest way i've found to cut your grip ends out is to put something solid, like a side-on hammer head or a piece of steel of some sort, Maybe even a piece of good hard wood, across the end of your bar and give it a whack or two with another hammer.

The end of the handlebar will act like a punch and cut a perfect sized hole in the end of the grip. Piece of cake.:thumbsup:

As far as the Acerbis handguards are concerned, I have 'em on my WR and yeah they tend to twist round the bars when you try to go underground but they've saved my knuckles and my levers a time or twelve

The acerbis will work fine I've never had a pair break. That is if you get the rally pros with the metal inside. I've used them on every bike I've had. They can get twisted around in a hard crash. My biggest issue is it seems that I have to bend them around prior to install to get a good fit and have clearance around cables and levers. I can't speak to the cycra I'm sure they work great but I still keep goin back to acerbis. But then again I am cheap.

there you go I admit it. :thumbsup:

Also you have to buy another kit for fat bars. Mo money.

I can't think of a crappier product sold :ride: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

+1. I hated my Acerbis. You can't go wrong with the Fastway system. The best in the world.

.......... bahhh :thumbsup: