proper maintenance routine for the 450...

Guys, what I'm looking for is for someone who has a perfect "method" for properly maintaining the bike...I'm not talking about just following the manual, I'm looking for a good, tried and true routine for once the bike is home and cleaned up...Any good time saving tips, or a proper order for cleaning the air filter, changing the oil & filter, cleaning/lubing the chain, grease points, things that should be inspected/adjusted, etc...would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks for a bit of your time, which I'm sure will save me a ton of time, as I tend to waste much of it doing these items in a haphazard way...

Guys, what I'm looking for is for someone who has a perfect "method" for properly maintaining the bike...
Let me know how that goes, will you?

Meantime, I don't always wash mine. It's pretty dry around here (say arid) and if I don't plan to do much to the bike, there's not always a need for it. Normally, I do, though, so I'll start with that.

Wash with Simple green and a garden hose

Wipe it down and run the engine for a few seconds with the hot start pulled to clear any moisture out of the circuit (a leftover from the days when I had a DRD hot start kit on an '01). Relube the chain.

Check the bike over

Change the air filter (every ride except on rare occasions in the wetter months)

Clean out under the dust seals on the fork (every two rides or so)

Oil and filter (every third ride, or more often when racing)

Check valves 4 times a year so I don't forget how.

Grease suspension and steering head annually

Replace timing chain annually

Leak down test on rings annually

Guys, what I'm looking for is for someone who has a perfect "method" for properly maintaining the bike...I'm not talking about just following the manual, I'm looking for a good, tried and true routine for once the bike is home and cleaned up...Any good time saving tips, or a proper order for cleaning the air filter, changing the oil & filter, cleaning/lubing the chain, grease points, things that should be inspected/adjusted, etc...would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks for a bit of your time, which I'm sure will save me a ton of time, as I tend to waste much of it doing these items in a haphazard way...

Great question

off the top of my head here is my routine on a brand new bike and after break in

Stock chain replaced/sprockets replaced

all aftermkt handlebars, grips, controls, brakes added

Initial maint before 1st ride is key - I break entire bike down less motor/frame and regrease every single bearing/seal/pivot, tighten all bolts w/ thread locker if needed and grease the chain adj bolts - w/ antiseize

after breakin - check valves (record findings and adj if needed)

every ride clean and reoil air filter, I rotate between 3/4 per bike

every 3rd ride or 3hrs, oil change rotate between 2 SS filters - thanks hr meter

every 3mos check steering bearing regrease, check all cables, tension & lube if needed including Hotstart

every 5mo check linkage/ shock bearings / wheel bearings regrease/replace

every 12-15mos replace cam chain, remove carb and clean inspect

every 24mos replace Cam Chain tensioner

Check valves every 12mos or wait until starting symptom arises

Topends usually every 80 -100hrs

Gas is completely drained after each weekend tank and carb

muffler repacked every 25hrs - muffler is corked closed at all times unless bike is ready to ride (zero moisture)

replace pads when needed

replace tires when needed

replace chain and sprocket when needed. I have 3 complete sets with different gearing for each track I ride

Forks and shock service every 12-15hrs - replace fluid, Nitrogen and seals, OEM seals must be cleaned every 3rd ride or they leak. I run Synergy Seals

Bike is cleaned every ride simple green 50/50 w/ water ...Dirty bikes are PITA to work on

Very important to keep a maint log book....the only way to remember what when and where:thumbsup:

I suggest buying an hour meter. I feel it is a great investment and a great way to figure out a service schedule.

For me, I change the oil ever 2 hours of running (works out to be about every other ride) and I change the filter every other oil change (every 4 hours of running). I change the air filter every ride, and I check the valves every 15 hours of running. I grease the steering head and linkage bearings twice a year and change the suspension fluids once a year.

My routine:

Every Ride:

Clean bike

Lube chain

New airfilter

Check spokes

Change oil (if raced...about 3 hours). If just play riding then I'll go up to eight hours on the oil depending on the type of riding.

It's much wetter up here so I regrease my steering bearings and shock/linkage/swingarm bearings a few times per year. I also keep my wheel bearing seals well packed with grease to keep water out.

For my clutch and throttle cables I clean and relube as it feels necessary. I also keep an ever so slight coat of grease on my hotstart plunger.

For my Simple Green I use a two gallon herbicide/insecticide yard sprayer...just pour a gallon in and mix with water for my 50/50 mix.

Uh.. I'm seeing alot of "change"the air filter? I mean I don't mind spending money on up keep but I think I'll clean mine and get a few rides out of it.

I change mine. And, I get a few rides out of it. I have three per bike, and there's always a clean, freshly oiled one on the shelf. You knew perfectly well what most of us meant.

Are you still throwing away oil filters? I don't. I use a Scotts.

Yeah..I thought maybe they came out with a disposable air filter and no one told me.. I haven't bought the Scotts every time I go to pick one up they talk me out of it,so I'm not sure whats best,

Thanx ..Yeah I read that thread earlier,the last dealer recommended the Hi Low filters,How do clean your steel mesh filter,I use solvent and a LITTLE compressed air.

Swish it in clean solvent (covering the end with a finger tip), spray a little carb cleaner from inside to out, then compressed air, regulated to 60 psi, fearlessly.

I'll have to pick up some carb cleaner