XR650R What should I know , might buy one? or DRZ?

I've found good deals on Craigslist, but you have to be fast. Good deals can be gone in an hour.

XRR comes the closest to a do-it-all bike. If you get one you probably won't want another bike for a very long time, maybe never. It's reliable, with loads power to spare, fast, and will take you almost anywhere. You'll need a bigger tank, and a wider seat for long trips.

The only complaint I have about the XRR is that when taking it into serious off road territory (I mean no roads) it's a very physical bike. I got mine when I was not very fit, and it got me into shape very quickly. I think this has to do with the size & weight (I have 6 gallon tank) and controlling the power. Now I'm stronger, I love it. DRZ would be less of a handful in rough stuff. With the XRR you raelly have to let it know who's boss.

But where the XRR would outclass the DR would be on any paved riding, or long open offroad terrain.

You asked about the CRF540X - I've ridden the CRF450R which is similar, it's a fun bike, faster revving than the XRR, but much less torque. The XRR pulls like a tractor, but on the CRF you have to work the gears & throttle more. It's great fun in the dirt but lacks the all-rounder capability of the XRR. And as someone mentioned, maintenance on the CRF is a bitch. If you're riding regularly, expect a top-end rebuild once a year. And oil changes very freequently.

Video of me on XRR, buddy on CRF.

And my tribute to the XRR...

apologies to all the TT regulars who've seen 'em.

BTW, if you ask on an XR forum whether to get an XR or a DRZ, you know what the answers are gonna be...

XRR comes the closest to a do-it-all bike. If you get one you probably won't want another bike for a very long time, maybe never. It's reliable, with loads power to spare, fast, and will take you almost anywhere. You'll need a bigger tank, and a wider seat for long trips.

The only complaint I have about the XRR is that when taking it into serious off road territory (I mean no roads) it's a very physical bike. I got mine when I was not very fit, and it got me into shape very quickly. I think this has to do with the size & weight (I have 6 gallon tank) and controlling the power. Now I'm stronger, I love it. DRZ would be less of a handful in rough stuff. With the XRR you raelly have to let it know who's boss.

But where the XRR would outclass the DR would be on any paved riding, or long open offroad terrain.

You asked about the CRF540X - I've ridden the CRF450R which is similar, it's a fun bike, faster revving than the XRR, but much less torque. The XRR pulls like a tractor, but on the CRF you have to work the gears & throttle more. It's great fun in the dirt but lacks the all-rounder capability of the XRR. And as someone mentioned, maintenance on the CRF is a bitch. If you're riding regularly, expect a top-end rebuild once a year. And oil changes very freequently.

Video of me on XRR, buddy on CRF.

And my tribute to the XRR...

apologies to all the TT regulars who've seen 'em.

BTW, if you ask on an XR forum whether to get an XR or a DRZ, you know what the answers are gonna be...

Thanks for all the good info, and as for your last comment, yes I'm aware folks will be pretty biased on the XR, but I have a ST1300 and many times when folks on the ST sight ask, what should they buy, a FJR1300 or ST1300, we are mature enough to consider the persons needs, riding abilities, and such and often recommended they buy a FJR, my neighbor bought one on my recommendation, even though for me, and my riding, (Long trips) i totally prefer the ST1300 over the Feejer.

Not sure what my mpg is on my xr650r, but my smiles per miles are off the charts. It's street legal and goes to battle every time I swing a leg over the beast. You won't regret it. I've owned both the Drz400s and the Drz400sm and this bike is by far my favorite. Had it for 5 years now and no troubles. I flog it every chance I get and wheelie the thing until I see the cops or a corner.:prof: