HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
29goat

08 yz450f backfiring at low rpm, and on deceleration, looses idle... too lead..

6 posts in this topic

Looking for help, I just picked up a new 08 yz450f, started fine at the dealer with the choke on. Got it home, and it wouldn't hold a idle with the choke off. I turned up the idle screw which hepled. The bike will backfire with the throttle slightly cracked and will pop/backfire on deceleration. I think the carb is running lean, or is this how they run? other than this, the bike is great! any idea's? thanks

Start by dumping the gas tank and adding some fresh. No telling how old the stuff in the tank is.

I just picked one up Friday and it was a bit lean. Check you're fuel screw, I think mines about 2.5 turns out now

Start by dumping the gas tank and adding some fresh. No telling how old the stuff in the tank is.

thanks, i'll give it a shot.

The fuel screw can be your best friend or enemy....get yourself a adj fuel screw. Temp and humidity affect this, as well as jetting that is not precise. After you dump old gas and use new, it is breakin time.....then rejet if necessary and adj fuel screw.

read this prior to breaking the bike in

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Looking for help, I just picked up a new 08 yz450f, started fine at the dealer with the choke on. Got it home, and it wouldn't hold a idle with the choke off. I turned up the idle screw which hepled. The bike will backfire with the throttle slightly cracked and will pop/backfire on deceleration. I think the carb is running lean, or is this how they run? other than this, the bike is great! any idea's? thanks

This is dead on what mine did. I went up one size on the pilot to a 48 and one size on the main to a 165 and put the fuel screw at 11/2 and it runs great. I think this is pretty much what every body is doing around here.