'06 YZ450 Hot Start Question

When I pulled my carb apart to send it to ZipTy for the carb mod kit, there was no spring above the hot start plunger. The shop manual was inconclusive so I assembled the carb without. I went for my second ride on this bike and the hot start felt not right.

My buddy rides a CRF450 and his hot start lever has a positive return...probably a spring. Mine feels like a wet noodle.

I look at the online fiche and it shows a spring. TT does not have a carb schematic for the '06 carb. Using powersportspro.com, its part # 37. Not much help I know...

Can anyone confirm that there is in fact a spring above the hot start. I think there should be.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Guys

I have a 03 Y50F and I recently replaced the hotstart cable as the old one was stiff. The new cable is equally as stiff and I am trying to figure out how to adjust it properly with proper recoil etc. There is a spring between the plunger and the nut. I did notice a fair amount of dirt around the plunger. Any other ideas?

Guys

I have a 03 Y50F and I recently replaced the hotstart cable as the old one was stiff. The new cable is equally as stiff and I am trying to figure out how to adjust it properly with proper recoil etc. There is a spring between the plunger and the nut. I did notice a fair amount of dirt around the plunger. Any other ideas?

yep the dirt will build up as long as you have a plastic nut that holds it all together in the carb. Replace with a Alum nut Turner, Zipty etc...then this stays clean. Clean it/the hole and add a tiny dab of grease to the sides of the plunger..then adjust cable - good to go:thumbsup: