lubrication xr600

Hi. can someone help me understand the lubrication system. I just finished building a crosscart using a 91 xr 600 motor, I made the oiltank with the return pipe over the surface like on a HD ,to be able to se if its circulates.

I only run it for a few minutes but so far no oil has been returned from the motor althougt the motor is filled to the level check plug.what is it that determines when its time to send oil back to the tank? Are there two pumps?How reliable is the oil system? I dont dare to run it for longer until that i can confirm i have sufficent oilpressure. Is there any other way to confirm that?.Am I beeing overly causious? the motor sounds fine when its running.If the motor had been in the bike i wouldnt even notise this ,since both pipes are under the surface in the bike oiltank

/Erik

Quote::(I made the oiltank with the return pipe over the surface like on a HD)

No idea what you mean by that.The 600 has the one pump.What determines when the oil gets returned to the tank I do not know..The oil systems fairly reliable.Maybe it's not appearing to return because you have the pipe off and the vacuum which I suspect causes the system to work is broken.Is the head getting oil when the bikes running..undo the banjo bolt a bit on the oil pipe up at the head level with the engine idling and see if any comes out,,If none does then you may need to prime the pump a bit by removing the oil filter and shoving a load of oil in there..re-attach the bits and try the thing again and again and again till you are sure it's working permanently

As I said although in your case the engine being in a cart may make it more difficult..Lay the engine on it's left hand side,,remove the filter..tip some oil in there..put bits back on..start engine..continue until you are certain the oils getting to the head in a constant flow..retest..retest...

Goodo, covered officially by Martinfan.

My pump did not prime itself via neverending full force kicks. I also started it to see if the force of the motor would get it going. After 30 seconds, no oil, and I shut it off. I ALSO dumped a half quart into the head directly just to be sure that first minute of operation had plenty of oil.

Not wanting to risk a fresh rebuild, I found a large bore syringe, filled it with oil and forced it into the return tube, forced the oil through until the filter chamber filled. Just like that, the pump was primed!

I left it overnight, filled the filterhouse, and started it, i got pressure in less than ten seconds.Thanks.

Is there anyone who knows if the oiltank should be ventilated (its a home made one, remember) to prevent vaccum.

By the way, witch of the pipes is the feed pipe,one is slightly thicker than the other ,I reasoned that that would be the feed pipe .But am I right?

The tube that goes to the top of the frame is the return an the short one on the bottom is the feed line.