Oil level revisited (XRL)

Originally Posted by Kenzo

just because your not blowing oil out your airbox via the crankcase breather or your not using oil from blowing it by the rings does not mean there are not problems or consequences.

i hope the people that overfilling are not causing any potential problems...from foaming or air bubbles in their oil due to the crank spinning in oil, or increased oil/engine temps or power losses due to windage(parasitic losses)...

no where in my XRL manual does it state "fill oil to upper level"...unless ur dipstick is different than mine is says "upper" and "lower" NOT "full" and "add a quart"...

Response Old Dog

You'll have to forgive me then, when I said the "full" mark, I meant the "upper level" mark. It's a common sense thing that the "upper level" mark would mean the "full" mark, I'm sorry if that seemed to have escaped your observational faculties.

no i clearly observed that dipstick is marked "upper" and "lower"...i just didn't "read into it" something that wasn't there

the proper operating level is somewhere between the "upper" and "lower" levels...but appears to be somewhat variable most likely due to the way one changes (or drains) the oil.

Response Old Dog

I've measured it. The amount of oil it takes to bring the level from just below the "lower mark" to the "upper mark" is right around 1 Liter (just over 1 quart). This is just slightly under what the down tube on the frame holds. Again, common sense dictates that the crankcase holds right around 2 quarts and the down tube holds a little over 1 quart. As long as you don't go above the "upper level" on the dipstick (over 3 quarts oil total) you won't experience overfilling issues.

i should have also added that due to the oils changing physical properties(temperature, volume & viscosity) and bikes mechanical pumps(well actually one pump with twin rotors) the level will vary within a range dependant on the bikes operation...

...actually the downtube will hold approximately 1 3/4 U.S. Quarts, slightly less for "Canadian Quarts" ;)

obviously everyone is free to do what they like...but "polling" or "suggesting" what the proper fill amount/level is or should be other than what the manual or engineers who designed the motor say...is wreckless IMO...

Response Old Dog

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that the owners manual is referring to the amount of oil needed for the crankcase is 2.06 qts ...... or maybe it does.

There seems to be a lack of Rocket Scientists that own XR650Ls

first u insult me...and then the rest of the XRL owners? :prof:

i guess Honda just left out the part the crankcase should be filled with 2.06 quarts like they left off the crankcase fill port :bonk:

no Rocket Scientist here but i do have an engineering degree, live two miles from the Johnson Space Center and actually sold equipment(instrumentation) that's flying in the Space Station but since have retired from engineering sales...but i guess the fact that u stayed at a Holiday Inn last night trumps that.

P.S.S. my XXL manual also states that the bulk of the oil is carried in the frame.

Response Old Dog

Really? I'd like to see that. Because as I've already stated, I've measured it, and it's right around 1 Liter. There's no way that the frame holds more oil than the crankcase. It's pretty obvious the volume inside the crankcase is larger than the volume in the down tube of the frame.

if you want to see it...go to Honda XR600R 1991-2000 & XR650L 1993-2007 Service Repair Maintenance Manual, Clymer M221 2007, Chapter 3, Page 52, "Oil Level Check", first paragraph, first sentence.

it's the oil level not the volume of the crankcase that is the issue, your response shows a lack of understanding of dry sump oiling systems...the crankcase is primarily if not exclusively for collecting the oil where is transfered to the oil tank(the frame in this application) which feeds the pump...then the oil is pumped at pressure through out the engine and bearing surfaces...

again if you measure it after draining all of the oil you will it's closer to 1 3/4 U.S. Quarts.

:confused:

Some interesting info interspersed in this thread. I noticed that some report different levels depending on engine temp (the hotter, the higher the level). Now if metal expands when hot (both the frame and engine) one would assume the level should DROP. Does the oil itself expand that much when it's hot?

Some interesting info interspersed in this thread. I noticed that some report different levels depending on engine temp (the hotter, the higher the level). Now if metal expands when hot (both the frame and engine) one would assume the level should DROP. Does the oil itself expand that much when it's hot?

riddle me this...u heat up a metal washer does the hole in the center get bigger? ...or smaller? :prof:

:bonk:

I believe it gets bigger.:prof:

I believe it gets bigger.:prof:

BZZZZZZT... try again :bonk:

Not to get nitpicky, but for the inner diameter of the washer to shrink, the inner edge would have to compress (obviously the opposite of expansion) - that's the only way the inner diameter could be reduced, I would think. Further, I think it's fairly common practice to heat up a nut to loosen it from a bolt or to get a ring off a finger. But I'm no engineer and I understand where you're going with this in relation to my question though, so maybe your right.

Hi Kenzo :bonk::confused:

Guess what buddy?

Screw you and the horse you rode in on.

I've got more knowledge on the end of my pinky finger than could fit into that boxcar that rests on your shoulders. :ride:

You go right ahead and run your "2.06 qts" in your pig, and I'll run 3 Liters in mine, and we'll see who's pig overheats and seizes up first, K?

Till then, enjoy your view from "two miles from the Johnson Space Center"

Bye Bye. :ride::prof:;)

Btw, if you're such a genius, why can't you figure out the "quote" feature?

hehehehehe ...... sucks to be you!!

The last few posts have gone way off course.

Sorry Bibleman, some wont play nice.

Rich.