Petcock gas on or off?

You really want to turn the gas off if you store it indoors. It would be bad for the float valve to let go and dump a tank of gas on the garage floor. Sure it's unlikely and I have been guilty of forgetting to turn the gas off, but it is a good idea.

+1 on draining the carb if the bike is going to sit for an extended period of time.

Just turn the gas off about 1/2 block away from the house and idle in the yard for a minute. Most of the gas will be gone, if not run out. That is what I do, works well.

And I have a few stuck float/needle valves that have caused a small gas/garage disasters. Not to metion the safety factor of maybe burning down your house. The older I get, the more safety becomes important. Grand kids will do that to you. In my youth, I'd pull the bike in the living room and rebuilt it.:prof:

When I store mine over the winter I add stabil to the tank, kind of shake it around to mix it up then start the bike with the petcock off to empty out the carb. If I'm only storing it for a couple of weeks or so I just shut off the valve and run it until the carb is empty.

I work in an Oil Refinery.

Chemist.

STABIL IS CRAP!!!

The way that octane breaks down over time can ruin your head. Early detonation pitting and heat on the head is the culprit.

3 gallons of gas...$10...If that is what you are trying to save with a 3 bottle of STABIL, you shouldn't own a BRP. Drain it and put it in your car. Not worth the risk.

I would never run my motor with bad gas. Yours, I would. But not mine.

Chemist.

STABIL IS CRAP!!!

The way that octane breaks down over time can ruin your head. Early detonation pitting and heat on the head is the culprit.

3 gallons of gas...$10...If that is what you are trying to save with a 3 bottle of STABIL, you shouldn't own a BRP. Drain it and put it in your car. Not worth the risk.

I would never run my motor with bad gas. Yours, I would. But not mine.

I didn't know that.

Oh and you can stow the attitude guy.

It's not about the money but the convenience. I thought it worked as advertised and I have never had a problem with it. Easier to dump something into the tank than drain it so I went that way. If you don't know there is an issue with a product and it doesn't give you problems why not use it?

Trying to get into an E-fight is right up there with competing in the Special Olympics even if you win you are still mentally challenged.

I have never had someone give me attitude on this forum before. Good advice in helpful manner sure. Attitude? Nope never before. Anyway I do appreciate the information.

Sorry if It seemed like I was given yoo attitude. Was not my intent...Was trying to impress the point of how damaging it can be...Lawn mowers($200), and two stroke chainsaws($200) have relatively lower compression than Motorcycle engines. 8/1 comp ratio, compared to the 10/1 in a stock BRP®($6000). and even more with mods.

A three foot hose from autozone, 10 mins and a gas can. A 100% no-doubt damage prevention.

Some people in the state next to me eat day old road kill. Me,,,I have to run mine over personally to eat it.

I always turn mine off. At the petcock that is. Some of my old XL's get stuck float needles because I don't rum them regulalrly, so I drain the old gas out and then turn on the gas for a fresh bowl of fuel and wa-la starts! I don't use stabil and I don't drain em. AS I said I just remove the float bowl drain plug and get the nasty out and reinstall and turn the gas back on. I have hear many time of shutting of the gas and letting the carb run out of gas, so that you don't get a gummy situtaion if the bike is going to sit a long time. However I have noted corrossion begins in te carb when it is dry, so I leave em alone, (full).

Good advice on taking care of carb/gas/petcock during storage. Another factor is position of piston and valves during storage. I prefer to store my 4 strokes with piston at top dead center and valves closed with springs relaxed. Occaisionally after storage I could not locate TDC for starting. I have never had this situation when stored at TDC. So am I nuts or not?

Good advice on taking care of carb/gas/petcock during storage. Another factor is position of piston and valves during storage. I prefer to store my 4 strokes with piston at top dead center and valves closed with springs relaxed. Occaisionally after storage I could not locate TDC for starting. I have never had this situation when stored at TDC. So am I nuts or not?

No, not nuts. I like to pull the plug after long storage and squirt some oil in the cylinder. Then crank it over to get the compression back.

Chemist.

STABIL IS CRAP!!!

Funny, Sta-Bil only really claims to keep gas from turning to varnish, not preserving octane or keeping octane improvers from evaporating or deteriorating.

I turn off the fuel when I shut off the bike. I don't worry about draining the float bowl because I don't seem to experience gumming or corrosion too much, especially with the bike in a garage that only varies about 30°F during the year.