HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stepdaddy

sprocket advice

7 posts in this topic

Alright here’s my story.

My 08-450 stretched the stock chain just about to the max after about 10 hours....I took Grays advice and got myself a Regina o-ring chain...got the chain and took the old one off. My buddy brought the chain across the street to the speed shop to have the chain cut. The old wise man looked at the stock chain cut the new one to the stock length (114) one, and said good luck.

Now being the same size as the stock chain, it has about half adjustment left....this means my sprockets have more wear on them than is good, or at least this is what I took out of the situation at hand.

My questing is; would it be best for me to replace sprockets right now while the chain is still 100% or see how long the stockers will last?

I would replace the sprockets too. Sprockets and chain wear as a set, if you change one and not the other they will wear out faster.

Now being the same size as the stock chain, it has about half adjustment left....this means my sprockets have more wear on them than is good,

It doesn't mean that at all. Very rarely will sprocket wear change the diameter of the sprocket, which it would have to do to change the point where the axle sits, and it didn't sit far from the center of the slot when it was new.

In 10 hours time, it isn't likely that you have done much to the front sprocket, but the rear is apt to have been damaged. Look at the picture at the top of page 3-31 in your manual, then carefully inspect the teeth of both sprockets. Both sides of each tooth should look the same; a half round cut with a chisel pointed tooth. If there is a difference in shape from one side to the other, the sprocket is worn, and should be replaced.

Thanks Gray, Ill check to see how they look before i change them out. I think i would have more peace of mind but i dont wanna throw anymore money away than i already do.:prof:

I have found that cutting a chain prior to seeing where the swingarm adj points are is not a good thing unless you want the rear wheel as close to the front of the swingarm as possible or worse a chain cut too short. I always install the sprockets (whatever size) and wrap the new chain 120links around to see where my desirable adj points will be, then cut chain with a chain breaker right there. I prefer the initial adj point towards the middle knowing the stretching will occur and seat my adj points just rear of middle for the 06 - 450s and more front on the 99 -05 400-450s. If more stretching occurs then remove another link. In this case more chain is better than less.:prof: