HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brantc

How to put your XL600 air box in.

10 posts in this topic

Make sure there are no parts attached(regulator, rectifier) as that will defeat the cool move....

airbox2.jpg

airbox3.jpg

airbox4.jpg

airbox5.jpg

airbox1.jpg

Your caption should have said make sure there are no parts attached like swingarm, shock, rear wheel , etc. The hardest part about that job is discovering how much stuff has to come off. It really doesn't take too long once you make up your mind to disembowel everything.

I did not have the technique of insertion quite figured out yet. Thank you.

Excellent photos and post.

Mine is happy where it is at. Removing the carbs and reinstallation, now that's fun! ...... NOT!

Mine is happy where it is at. Removing the carbs and reinstallation, now that's fun! ...... NOT!

Amen Motosprtman! Holy cow, that third hexhead bolt in the middle of the rubber intake manifold...mine was torqued on so bad...i admit since my XL is a restoration project, I had the top end refreshed by XRs Only down in SoCal. My one "special request" was for them to replace those bolts with allen heads since no socket would the hex head, and no open end wrench could achieve the purchase necessary to loosen the bolt!

anyway, OP, thanks for the post, I agree it's a Harry Houdini move to get that airbox in or out of the frame :prof:

hey! this is my first post on TT. hi everybody!

Adam

Amen Motosprtman! Holy cow, that third hexhead bolt in the middle of the rubber intake manifold...mine was torqued on so bad...i admit since my XL is a restoration project, I had the top end refreshed by XRs Only down in SoCal. My one "special request" was for them to replace those bolts with allen heads since no socket would the hex head, and no open end wrench could achieve the purchase necessary to loosen the bolt!

anyway, OP, thanks for the post, I agree it's a Harry Houdini move to get that airbox in or out of the frame :prof:

hey! this is my first post on TT. hi everybody!

Adam

Welcome to TT shortshift!

Glad to have you onboard.

Rich.

Yep!!:prof:

I'm working on a good way to do that part. I will post when I get there...

:bonk::confused:

What did you use to clean that airbox? That thing looks cleaner than when it came from the factory!!!

Thanks,

Jack

What did you use to clean that airbox? That thing looks cleaner than when it came from the factory!!!

Thanks,

Jack

I used a Armor all substitute. I think from Maguires. It was pretty stinky(oh the flowers) but it worked well.

I spent a couple of hours on that thing.... Q-tips and ragsss......