Questions for all electrical guru's

The bike is a 2000 XR650R.My plans are to make a home brewed dual sport kit.Here is what I plan doing,and please tell me if it will work.

I'm going to rewind my stator to have a single 125V insted of 2-100w.

So with 125W stator thur the stock voltage regulator,to a 35amp,200volt rectifier to a small 12volt battery.

I'll use a 35w headlight,turn signals,brake light,and horn.

Will this set up work with the above and stock voltage regulator?

It should work. The main problem is you might be putting too many watts in to the stock AC regulator. I really like my split system. 100 w headlight on one coil setup AC and a DC system on the other with another 55w light.

I think that you will need a high power capable regulator. Ricky Stator has an AC reg for $19 and a DC for $45. You could just use the DC reg and run it all DC.

If you want to give the stock reg a try go with a higher wattage headlight. Basically all the extra juice is adsorbed by the regulator. The more that you use in the headlight the less the regulator has to take. Go with at least 55 watts. The best would be to use all but 20 or 30watts of what your rewouond stator can put out.

• Like 1

Thinks for the advice Cleonard,I'm on a very strict budget,and this is the most cost effective route I have found so far,and I have been researching for weeks.

I will try a higher wattage bulb to reduce the watts.

If money were no object,I would definatly get a split 100-100w stator.

If you have any betters ideas,please let me know.

I want to say 'no'. I have a 97 XRR w/BD DS kit, with battery & charging system you have to convert from AC to DC (or izat the other way around???) I do believe you will have to add voltage reg, but Im not 100% sure

The rectifier does convert AC to DC.:prof: just kidding,I didn't know until a few days ago.

Thanks for all the advise.I ordered a 1.5X2.0X4.0 battery from batteries.com for less than $12,and the recifiter,relay,heat shrink,etc. from skycraft.Both have very good buys.I'm using a Suzuki SV650 handlebar switch,and Honda XL tail light and turn signals.I'll post pic's in a couple weeks.

Make sure you run all the lights to the battery both negative and positive and don't run the negative from the lights to ground because the frame ground is AC unless you float the ground I'm pretty sure.

I was thinking about running everything off DC.I wound up getting the turn signals and brake light from a Suzuki DRZ400SM.Will the stock headlight work with DC power?

I used the key switch from my son's XR80(he don't need a key switch).

And I got the speedo from a 1983 XR200R(bolted right on the XRR upper triple clamp,and the cable works too).