Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Some smoke from my 95 xr600r

11 posts in this topic

I have been riding some trails next to my house and i notice a little smoke from my exhaust. Its not bad but i checked the oil and it looks good but i am getting ready to change maybe this weekend.I thought it might need rings and wanted to know what kind of job (parts,labor ,downtime) it is.And how hard of a job .

It's not that hard. You need good measurement tools to check the piston and the bore to decide if all you need is rings or a new piston and bore as well. It can be done with the engine in the frame.

You absolutely need a service manual for torque values, wear limits, etc.

Figure on at least a week if not two or more weeks downtime. You can't really order parts until you have it apart and you know what needs to be replaced. It's not that the disassemble/assembly work takes that long, it's the waiting for parts. It also takes time if you need a bore job. Most shops seem pretty backed up these days.

It's not really a critical fix. You might be able to put it off until next winter.

Minimum is gasket set and rings. Perhaps $60.

A new piston kit runs $150 to $200 and $50 for a bore job. Then the same gasket set as before.

If you get the work done by a shop there you will pay for the time. Not sure how many hours they would charge for a job like this. 6 hours, 8?

when you have it apart have the head looked at. It's apart so if it needs a valve fixed it is the time for it.

This is what I would do to see if it's rings or valve seals.

Do a compression test an then put some oil in the bore an do another test, if the numbers go up you need rings.

If the number stays the same or a little higher you need valve seals or guides.

you may need both.

pop's

You say its not burning oil,how does the power feel?,is it getting hard to start?I would do what Cleonard,and PWRPapa,suggested,if you get mixed readings,count on at a minium rings and gaskets,and the labor if your not doing the work.

Maybe A Very Small Amount Of Oil If Any And It Starts Easy And Rides Great.what Kind Of Damage Will I Do If I Let It Go Until Next Winter?

Maybe A Very Small Amount Of Oil If Any And It Starts Easy And Rides Great.what Kind Of Damage Will I Do If I Let It Go Until Next Winter?

I dont see any problems here. You'll be fine. Just keep a close eye on oil consumption. If things progressively worsen, then you might want to O/H.

I dont see any problems here. You'll be fine. Just keep a close eye on oil consumption. If things progressively worsen, then you might want to O/H.

+1 on that. As long as you don't run it out of oil there really should not be a problem. I put off new rings on my 600 until it was blowing a lot of oil out the crankcase breather. It still started and ran what seemed to be great. After new rings it had a considerably more power.

After new rings it had a considerably more power.

Thats the cool thing. It gradually loses power over time, but so insignificantly you dont notice it. UNTIL, you O/H the top end and realize the power difference and say "What the hell did I wait so long for!".