Adding an evaporative fuel canister

Damn. For all the gas I have lost through my atmospherically vented fuel cap in the last 6 months, I prolly coulda enjoyed a free Big Mac for lunch today. Thing is, after the bike is sitting in hot sun, when a carb overflow: ie: also known as a carburetor bowl vent line becomes pressurized due to being hooked up to another vent line: ie tank vent, and eventually pressures build on either side and the vapor needs to vent somewhere. Question is, where is it going to vent now? Might make for some troublesome hot starts after its been sitting. If you're that worried about saving gas, you should possibly consider a moped. If the smell of gas is that detrimental, well, I dont think there is any good advice there. Usually I only smell like gas after I'm working on my carb.

Damn. For all the gas I have lost through my atmospherically vented fuel cap in the last 6 months, I prolly coulda enjoyed a free Big Mac for lunch today. Thing is, after the bike is sitting in hot sun, when a carb overflow: ie: also known as a carburetor bowl vent line becomes pressurized due to being hooked up to another vent line: ie tank vent, and eventually pressures build on either side and the vapor needs to vent somewhere. Question is, where is it going to vent now? Might make for some troublesome hot starts after its been sitting. If you're that worried about saving gas, you should possibly consider a moped. If the smell of gas is that detrimental, well, I dont think there is any good advice there. Usually I only smell like gas after I'm working on my carb.

You wouldn't think it's that much gas...that is until you see it collect and pool up after every ride. I rode it hot. I let it sit in the AZ sun. It's a black tank. Still ran perfect. I'm sure you vent a bit through the jets in that event.

Better MPG. There's no reason not to.

If you're that concerned about the MPG of a motorcycle... :prof: Mine is street legal for 1 reason. I ain't paying for truck gas. BTW I'm from AZ. I miss AZ. At least there I'm not out the middle of a trail at full throttle and stall out, and have to get off and drain off all the water that has settled to the bottom of my carb bowl due to the %%@#$$$ humidity here.

Before I did this, I could see out of the tank cap, and out of the carb line, vapors pouring out all day like transparent smoke almost. Not good. If you've ever watched how fast fuel evaporates when just sitting there, this will make much more sense to you. If not...take it or leave it. It's a smart addition to my bike. Here's a link to a quick little write-up with pictures of the job if interested.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6191264#post6191264