HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chewbacca2264

motard the pig?

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a line on a couple of motard wheels that would bolt right on the old L. Price is really good and with a new sprocket, front rotor and chain I could sm this thing for less than $800 bucks. Now comes the question do I want to? I have not really been happy with the slab manners of the L, granted I am still tweaking things to get it all right. Even with the fork brace I seem to have a headshake and a general feel of instability over 55mph. I worked on the suspension the other day and had some luck making it feel better, but still not up to what I want. The SM wheel would allow me to swap back and forth and have a street trim plus a dirt trim, then I couild mount some aggresive knobbies on the stock wheels and not worry about wearing them out on the highway. Just a thought, the thing is I bought this thing to save money on gas and I just keep buying stuff for it!!!:prof:

if you have headshake then you have some other issues cuz i have none on street or dirt. you may wanna just do a rebuild/service on your bearings all around and pay attention to your head set bearings. That may be a contributing factor to your headshake. That and im properly setup suspension or wheels that are way out of balance. If you can get the wheels and everything for cheap i say "WHY NOT" if all else fails you could prolly sell them for close to what you paid down the road if you dont like the setup.

If you can get the motard set up cheap, you should go it. You will end up saving money over time. Wearing through knobbies ends up costing. The only down side from switching from stock to motard is that it takes a little longer vs stock dirt to stock street.

xr60012om1.jpg

Hellllll yes!

I had a headshake when I just put on the wheels from dirt, my steering braces were pitted and bearings were bone dry. In other words, just putting on the street tire/wheel helped but didnt eliminate it. Try dropping the triples down the fork tubes an inch to get more weight up front, and get your rear sag dialed in. Turns out my rear shock was toast too. After a "new" used shock, getting the bearings serviced, and dropping the forks, not even a twitch - even at freeway speeds.

Ultimately if you spend any time on the street motard is the way to go. It's safer, more fun, more stable at speed, etc etc etc

One problem is the change in geometry when you change wheel sizes. Generally you go down a lot more on the front than the back. This makes the front angles steeper which makes for more, not less, headshake.

I already added a performance design lowering link and raised the forks 1/2 inch, it may just be me or maybe it is the still stock deathwing on the front but it still has a vibration, all be it less than before I started messing with it. I also added an RSW racing fork brace and that seemed to help a lot. The thing is it still feels like a dirt bike on the road, which is fine I grew up racing mx. Only problem is now in my mid 30's I don't know if I really want to ride mx style on the road, going to a SM would eliminate much of that. Then it would be a better commuter bike but could still go back into dirt trim for some off road fun. I will end up using this bike a great deal on the highway so I should probably set it up for street. I will check with the guy with the wheels and check back. Thanks for any advice, haven't been on a bike in years so it is sorta like learning to walk again!!!:prof:

One problem is the change in geometry when you change wheel sizes. Generally you go down a lot more on the front than the back. This makes the front angles steeper which makes for more, not less, headshake.

On paper you are 100% correct.

I think on the road you really have to ask what the cause of the headshake is.

I think about it this way - any sportbike has well steeper steering angles than any motard or dirtbike, and yet the dirtbikes complain of headshake at speed. If the XR headsake is due to rake, then of course decreasing it would make it worse, but why assume on a very modest steering angle compared to the range of bikes out there would you assume it is rake causing it?

On the XR the cause during freeway speeds, at least for my bike, is not enough weight on the front end, which well offsets any increased theoretical risk of headshake for me.

I already added a performance design lowering link and raised the forks 1/2 inch, it may just be me or maybe it is the still stock deathwing on the front but it still has a vibration, all be it less than before I started messing with it. I also added an RSW racing fork brace and that seemed to help a lot. The thing is it still feels like a dirt bike on the road, which is fine I grew up racing mx. Only problem is now in my mid 30's I don't know if I really want to ride mx style on the road, going to a SM would eliminate much of that. Then it would be a better commuter bike but could still go back into dirt trim for some off road fun. I will end up using this bike a great deal on the highway so I should probably set it up for street. I will check with the guy with the wheels and check back. Thanks for any advice, haven't been on a bike in years so it is sorta like learning to walk again!!!:prof:

I found that going the OPPOSITE way, raising the rear and lowering the front, was what I've needed to do to keep the front end from wobbling at 65+. According to rake angles that should make it worse. I dont know why it works but it does for me. Lots of fellow motard guys do the same thing, even on factory motards.

One thing you can do if you dont want to take the plunge on a full SM kit is get a set of road/dual sport tires for your wheels.

Hi there!

For what it's worth, I have a KTM that I switch back and forth and I have solved any and all of the nervousness problems with a steering damper. I have a GPR on the KTM but the Scott's is very good also. It takes a lot of strain off of your arms and makes riding less strenuous. Make sure you balance your wheels. This also makes a big difference in handling and vibration.

Hope this helps

STS.

Well I went ahead and grabbed the wheels. The front is a Behr with a Rad uni hub and the rear is an Excel with the same Rad hub, both 17's. The front does not have a rotor and the rear does not have a sprocket so that is what is left to set up, plus a chain because I plan to gear the bike up for road trim. The wheels are set up with SM tires, Maxxis goldspeed street legal, and they have less than 1k on them so they are in good shape. I still plan to check things out further, bearings are all good but I haven't checked the wheel for balance yet. My guess is the front needs to be balanced, regardless I will get to it because I still plan to use the stockers at least some of the time. I think I will be happier set up in street trim for most of my touring, really this bike is a short trip commuter where I will rarely go for more than 1 hour at a rip, and it will see a good amount of highway both 2 and 4 lane so it only makes sense to set it up motard style. Of course would not have gone this direction without getting an awsome deal...what the hell it is a toy and needs to be played with!!!:prof:

I think about it this way - any sportbike has well steeper steering angles than any motard or dirtbike, and yet the dirtbikes complain of headshake at speed.

kinda two different horses here, trying to compare geometry of a sportbike to a XR is not really a good comparison. I feel for you that have head shake as i dont, only my older hondas had it, ie 80s CRs. I have a CBR600RR to go along with my L and have no problems with either, no steering stab on either but i definitely wish my GPR would mount to my L that way i would keep it and not sell it, it came off my YZ

Oh I hear you, I am not trying to compare the two. But that is my point exactly. Lots of things come into play not just steering angles.

Glad you got the setup. Motard = :prof:

Well it has been quite a day, the wheels shipped so I am stoked about that!!:prof: Plus I decided that since I was off and the weather was crappy I would have a garage day! To start I went ahead and desmogged the L, really pretty simple procedure once I made two trips to NAPA and one to the hardware store to get a ratchet set up to take the blasted allen bolts out of the front of the engine :confused: From there I used the XR's only kit and it was a piece of cake to complete. Took a test drive and it made quite a difference no where near as much popping on decel! Then I decided to do something about the lean condition, DJ kit has been sitting on the shelf for too long so I ripped out the carb and rejetted. Then while looking at the bike and realizing that I had to put a tank back on anyway I grabbed the Clarke 4.7 from its resting place in the box it shipped in and tossed it on as well. Test drive...wow what a difference, I did not pull the snorkel and I think I may still be a bit lean as I had to turn the idle screw out quite a bit but it will give me something to do in the next few weeks as the weather breaks. Plus I need to make some stabilizers for the tank, I used the set up provided and it isn't bad but I would like to add some more foam and then make some stabilizers for it. After all that now I am just waiting for the SM wheels and then more garage time before getting that set up!!!:bonk: