Whats the best-strongest skid plate?

yeah, just I ordered and got the one for he XRL and it is not as wide at the XRR. Would have rather had the XRR one. Stator cover still hangs out there in the open...If the XRR will fit the XRL, go for that one, it looks wider. They say it fits. Lesson learned.

I think a saw a custom one here that looked like the Utah one but has metal straps on each side to protect the engine case covers and oil pump/filter cover. They can hit a rock and crack open in a really bad wreck.

This is an answer to what is the best skid/bash plate not, what I have or what is most used:

Honda-XR650R.jpg

http://www.whipps.com.au/Products/BashPlates.html

I use a bolt on Utah type (not the one that uses the brackets. I would like to have a trick carbon fiber plate but, I would have to change it all the time.

I fall over a lot in jagged rocks dew to left hand has no strenth and my left wrist doesn't work so, I put this clutch cover guard on when I know I am going to ride in jagged rocks. Mr. Lewis fell over a punch a hole in his clutch cover, miles and miles from camp. What an ordeal to get it fixed and he just ran out of fuel getting back to camp. Lucky we made it back before dark. That is when I made this simple clutch cover guard.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=7943

Guard removed:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=27837

I just purchased a couple of the Utah Sport skid plates, and was kind of disappointed that they don't offer better coverage / protection toward the read of the frame. I watched one of my riding buddies punch a hole in his frame on a rocky hillclimb, and that's what motivated me to buy an aluminum one. Doesn't offer any better protection in my opinion though.

The one that looks good and stout to you, and fits yoru budget. (I prefer Baja Designs)

Bruce-

What kind of skidplate ARE you running? It looks like it has full coverage (out to the framerails) further than the Utah one.

I just called Utah Sports Cyle and talked to Mike Gibbs. I explained what I was looking for in a skidplate, and offered to help them update their design. He was interested, but they're in the middle of moving their shop right now so we won't be able to get started on that for a couple of weeks. I'll post back when we get into the redesign to get input from you guys.

Bruce-

What kind of skidplate ARE you running? It looks like it has full coverage (out to the framerails) further than the Utah one.

It is either an XR's only or a Baja Design's I bought it Five years ago! It took a major hit coming off almost five feet into rocks...you hac see part of the gash in the photo....saved my frame many times but, that save more then paid for the skid plate and then some.

I seen a whipp's on a bike at a district 37 race. The bike had a 69 on the side cover. I asked the guy how much it cost and I couldn't believe the price! It was like twice what I paid for mine at XR's Only.

This is an answer to what is the best skid/bash plate not, what I have or what is most used:

Honda-XR650R.jpg

http://www.whipps.com.au/Products/BashPlates.html

I use a bolt on Utah type (not the one that uses the brackets. I would like to have a trick carbon fiber plate but, I would have to change it all the time.

I fall over a lot in jagged rocks dew to left hand has no strenth and my left wrist doesn't work so, I put this clutch cover guard on when I know I am going to ride in jagged rocks. Mr. Lewis fell over a punch a hole in his clutch cover, miles and miles from camp. What an ordeal to get it fixed and he just ran out of fuel getting back to camp. Lucky we made it back before dark. That is when I made this simple clutch cover guard.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=7943

Guard removed:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=27837

whats that clutch cover guard attached to at the top let side, in front of the kickstart?

The engine mount bolt, I threaded the inside of the engine mount bolt and bolted the guard to it..

I seen a whipp's on a bike at a district 37 race. The bike had a 69 on the side cover. I asked the guy how much it cost and I couldn't believe the price! It was like twice what I paid for mine at XR's Only.

Hey, I know that guy! You were talking to Gene Lane the rock climbing machene. I have picures of him on some rides with that 69 on his side panels.

DSC04309.JPG

DSC04414.JPG

DSC04404.JPG

you can see the whipp's on that picture

Gene is the guy facing in the center:

sfhghs.JPG

Yep that is the rider I was talking to. Bike was roached he was getting every penny out of it.

I just called Utah Sports Cyle and talked to Mike Gibbs. I explained what I was looking for in a skidplate, and offered to help them update their design. He was interested, but they're in the middle of moving their shop right now so we won't be able to get started on that for a couple of weeks. I'll post back when we get into the redesign to get input from you guys.

I just talked to Mike at Utah Sport Cycle. He's going to send me the blueprints for their XR650R skidplate so I can update the design to use the stock skidplate mounting points and provide better/extended protection for the framerails. Let me know if you guys have any input or if there's anything else that you'd like to see in the updated design.

Ahem, well I haven't tried it yet, but my bike (XRL) is being fitted with a new model one. They are not out yet for the XRL as my bike is the first run, but it looks to be good quality, and will let the motor breathe a little better than the others I've seen. I'll have pics and a link soon, if I forget about this, someone PM me and remind me to report back if you're curious.

I won't even have the bike back for another week, so please check the date before you start requesting!:ride:

sooooo...wut about that new plate u were talk'n about ;)

....or did i miss ur post? :rant:

:p

getting ready to pull the trigger on a skid plate...

does any one know if the Baja Designs XR650R skid plate is the Utah Sport design??? ...they have the best price by about $10.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

also the guys who installed the R skid plate on their L...did u use the square R bracket/clamps? ...or get the rounded ones to match the L's frame?

TIA

Kenny

ok...the Baja Designs XR650R skidplated is the Utah Sports manufacture it even came with a "Ricochet Offroad Armor" sticker:busted:...arrived the second day after i ordered it for $86 and change w/ shipping...i does fit the L nicely using the R clamps...i used all six clamps with no modifications.

here's the skidplate after i added five drain/vent/wash-out holes in the bottom...

DSC01647.jpg

it protects the left side stator cover, the right side oil pump/filter, even sum protection for the brake pedal from frontal impacts and the underside is protected as well...so far i have not seen any appreciable increase in temps...

oil changes will be a bit messy but one or two shots of carb cleaner will take care of that.

the rest of these pics shud be self explanitory...

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

...in summary the "Utah" XR650R skid plate fits the XR650L without modification, provides additional protection with a little added bulk.

:)

I see that it tapers toward the back of the engine. Does the skid plate come under the crankcase drain plug or can you drain the engine without it running all over the plate?