Whats the best-strongest skid plate?

Hi guys I am looking for a tough decent looking skid plate for my pig. If anyone has pictures and suggestions it would be great.

thats a L you have right?

Just list them all.

XR600

XRL

XRR

The info will help someone...

I gots both...so...

and the pic's thing:applause: pics or links to webpages are REALLY hepful:thumbsup:

i got the Utah Sports bash plate - pretty common, available from most dealers. Seems very strong, but not many rocks where I live.

The toughest, according to legend, is the Whipps bash plate from Australia. Hard to get if you live somewhere else though.

Pics of the Utah:

bike.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Tip - if you go for a metal skid plate, try coating the up-side with bed-liner or some kind of rubber compound. Without it, normal engine noise is bounced back and amplified, your bike sounds a bit like a cement mixer from where you sit.

good post...pics, advice, knowledge. :bonk::prof::confused:

utah sport cycle, the best for the money

Utah is the way to go. Mounts on the 650r, 600r and 650l.

i got the Utah Sports bash plate - pretty common, available from most dealers. Seems very strong, but not many rocks where I live.

The toughest, according to legend, is the Whipps bash plate from Australia. Hard to get if you live somewhere else though.

Tip - if you go for a metal skid plate, try coating the up-side with bed-liner or some kind of rubber compound. Without it, normal engine noise is bounced back and amplified, your bike sounds a bit like a cement mixer from where you sit.

Many rocks where I ride, the Utah is the ticket.

go utah... they even make bash plates for alot of other companys, like moose, ect

The utah sport cycle one will fit over the stock XRL bash bars- with absolutely no loss of ground clearance. It just gets shifted forwards a skosh.

Belt&suspenders.

Baja designs makes a good one too

Ahem, well I haven't tried it yet, but my bike (XRL) is being fitted with a new model one. They are not out yet for the XRL as my bike is the first run, but it looks to be good quality, and will let the motor breathe a little better than the others I've seen. I'll have pics and a link soon, if I forget about this, someone PM me and remind me to report back if you're curious.

I won't even have the bike back for another week, so please check the date before you start requesting!:prof:

3-6-08006.jpg

My utah skid plate. Vented, and added a piece to protect header from rocks, and to protect header wrap from shreading.

The Utah Sports Cycles bash plate for the R fits the L.

I just thought I'd let people know.

d.

I drilled mud\water drain holes at the low corners on my Utah plate.

i like the extra shield that 650bum made!

I have the Utah plate on my XRL. Works great. Has some pretty good scars that would have meant case damage if it wasn't there.

One comment though is that I wish I'd replaced the button allen head bolts that it came with with stainless hex head bolts. The captive nuts on the frame clips are the ovaled locking type and lock on real good. The allen heads aren't strong enough and strip out and the button heads make it very difficult to get purchase with vise grips. Right now, my plate is a "permanent" modification until I grind the heads off or weld nuts on to get the supplied allen head bolts out.

Great idea on undercoating the topside to help with engine noise!

I drilled mud\water drain holes at the low corners on my Utah plate.

i like the extra shield that 650bum made!

Thank you. I have just put this on. It has worked great so far. I will be rewraping the exhaust soon, then I will really know how well it works.

...if u use this skidplate in conjunction with the factory bolt on bars which slightly moves the skidplate forward does the oil drain hole still line up???

TIA,

Kenny

...if u use this skidplate in conjunction with the factory bolt on bars which slightly moves the skidplate forward does the oil drain hole still line up???

TIA,

Kenny

Did on mine.

Dave

Thanks guys, I have an R. Thanks for the great pictures. I am going to look into Utah.