After 1,700 miles there is a deep vibration in the motor

I just put another 120 miles on my new '07 XRL. The odometer just cleared 1,700. The issue I have started late today on my way home from work. In any gear under partial throttle acceleration, the motor really starts to vibrate, not the normal thump of a big bore single, but a deep, off-balance type vibration. The bike still has the factory tires. I've done the smog pump delete, air box mod and dynojet kit all in the last 500 or so miles. I checked and added 4 ounces of oil before I rode to work this morning. There are no strange sounds coming from the motor. Coming off a stop sign tonight it would still pull the wheel in 1st, but when I got to 5th and tried to accelerate at 65 mph, it felt like the motor was trying to seize. I backed off and babied it home. Any clues? It's under warranty, so...

-Joe

Okay, I checked the motor mounts this morning with a clear head and all are in spec. I did not check chain alignment, as the rear wheel has not been moved since the bike was delivered and I have not messed with the sprockets. I did run through my normal oil check procedure, (start and idle for 5 minutes, sit for five minutes, and then check level), just in case. It appears to have used about 4 ounces, but then my crank case breather is still routed to the air box and I was running 75 miles per hour for about an hour with some pretty stiff wind at times. There was oil residue inside the air box, so that accounts for the oil. Time for a push-in breather.

It felt like there may have been an issue with ignition last night, so I checked the plug. It was black with soot, not oil, though I had been using the choke initially when I started the bike. I cleaned the plug and reinstalled, and then started the bike with the side cover off! Since it would idle with the air cover off and the choke off, I checked the throttle and the bike would rev up, not die. A sniff of the tail pipe says it is rich, but I am on the stock idle jet, 2.5 turns out. Putting the side cover back on made it richer, so I closed the mixture screw al of the way. The bike still idled and responded to throttle. It still smelled rich. Looks like a carb issue.

I needed to drill the slide and install the 55 idle jet anyway.

-Joe

if its not motor mounts i would get the bike up on a stand and look at both the wheels, check for slop like bearings, check all your spokes to make sure there tight, spin the wheels to see if they look wobbly like out of true, maybe some balancing will help too, tires wearing a little and out of balance may add to the vibration.

Okay, I checked the motor mounts this morning with a clear head and all are in spec. I did not check chain alignment, as the rear wheel has not been moved since the bike was delivered and I have not messed with the sprockets. I did run through my normal oil check procedure, (start and idle for 5 minutes, sit for five minutes, and then check level), just in case. It appears to have used about 4 ounces, but then my crank case breather is still routed to the air box and I was running 75 miles per hour for about an hour with some pretty stiff wind at times. There was oil residue inside the air box, so that accounts for the oil. Time for a push-in breather.

It felt like there may have been an issue with ignition last night, so I checked the plug. It was black with soot, not oil, though I had been using the choke initially when I started the bike. I cleaned the plug and reinstalled, and then started the bike with the side cover off! Since it would idle with the air cover off and the choke off, I checked the throttle and the bike would rev up, not die. A sniff of the tail pipe says it is rich, but I am on the stock idle jet, 2.5 turns out. Putting the side cover back on made it richer, so I closed the mixture screw al of the way. The bike still idled and responded to throttle. It still smelled rich. Looks like a carb issue.

I needed to drill the slide and install the 55 idle jet anyway.

-Joe

Sounds like it didnt run as rich with the cover off. If you are going to put a 55 pilot in, might get worse rich wise. I think stock pilot is a 50 or 52.

Also check the fotpeg mount bolts. Those back off freuqently and since your foot is the only tru connection to the frame that is the first place I would look for any strange feelings being transmitted.

I took the carb off and had a look. I didn't find anything obvious, but I did drill the slide and install the 55 jet. While this should have made it richer at idle, the exhaust did not smell rich and it seems to run better/smoother. I took it for a short ride and did not feel the vibration that I felt last night.

I did fill the bike yesterday afternoon just about 4 miles before it started. I wonder if it may have been a dose of bad gas. It wasn't my usual brand or station. I haven't done anything with the gas that is still in the tank other than change the mix going itno the motor. I have checked all of the hardware (mounts, pegs, etc.) and all is good.

I'm going to run through this tank and go back to my usual brand, as long as the vibe doesn't come back. If it does show up again, the bike will go to the shop. I'd hate to ignore it only to lose the motor.

-Joe

I took the carb off and had a look. I didn't find anything obvious, but I did drill the slide and install the 55 jet. While this should have made it richer at idle, the exhaust did not smell rich and it seems to run better/smoother. I took it for a short ride and did not feel the vibration that I felt last night.

I did fill the bike yesterday afternoon just about 4 miles before it started. I wonder if it may have been a dose of bad gas. It wasn't my usual brand or station. I haven't done anything with the gas that is still in the tank other than change the mix going itno the motor. I have checked all of the hardware (mounts, pegs, etc.) and all is good.

I'm going to run through this tank and go back to my usual brand, as long as the vibe doesn't come back. If it does show up again, the bike will go to the shop. I'd hate to ignore it only to lose the motor.

Come to think of it, once I was in a pinch and had to use some questionable fuel. In low rpm's it had a definate extra hit in the power pulse that just didnt feel right.

Get some good fuel in there!

Almost makes me think the choke or float was hung up causing a rich condition and during the course of the carb removal and mod that issue ended up getting fixed.

I have an Yamaha SRX600 street bike (same engine as an XT600) that has a cable actuated choke like our XRL's and it hung up one time and if I remember, the motor was making some weird vibrations before it eventually died and I began the pushing part of my journey.

DRAIN THE GAS!!!

2 gallons, $7 worth of gas vs. $300 in damages...Shop time is $2/ min...duh!!

No use taking a risk...Put the "bad" gas in your car...It will mix with the 18 other good gallons and wont amount to anything.

DRAIN THE GAS!!!

2 gallons, $7 worth of gas vs. $300 in damages...Shop time is $2/ min...duh!!

No use taking a risk...Put the "bad" gas in your car...It will mix with the 18 other good gallons and wont amount to anything.

You can afford 18 gallons of gas ?Dude can I come live with you.

Come to think of it, once I was in a pinch and had to use some questionable fuel. In low rpm's it had a definate extra hit in the power pulse that just didnt feel right.

Get some good fuel in there!

Martinfan that is exactly what it felt like to me. On the combustion stroke the motor felt like it was hitting harder than normal. Looks like tomorrow I will drain out that gas, or the majority of it and replace it with the regular brand. I guess I should have been more specific on the "deep vibration". It was a definite harder than normal pulse that went with the engine speed.

As to the rest of it, the mixture screw seems to be working normally now with the 55 jet installed. I'll see what happens tomorrow with some different gas.

-Joe

Also check the air filter.

Just as a side note. I have adjusted my chain 3 times in 1300 miles on my 07 XRL.

If your still exactly stock as delivered you might want to check your chain anyway after you get this problem fixed.

Mine is probably just because I do a lot of off road with mine so may be more stretch than normal.

Also check the air filter.

Just as a side note. I have adjusted my chain 3 times in 1300 miles on my 07 XRL.

If your still exactly stock as delivered you might want to check your chain anyway after you get this problem fixed.

Mine is probably just because I do a lot of off road with mine so may be more stretch than normal.

They take constant chain adjustments for awhile when new.