I'm Trying To Put Together Parts List 4 D's Mods

As I start getting the list of parts together for the "mods", I'm finding it tough to define exactly which parts I may need. First, i have a stock (except for fuel tank-3.8g) 07 xr650l. The parts I'm considering are at present;

K&N FILTER PART#40-0420

INS BAJA KIT PART# 442211

MAIN JET KIT 160-170 PART# 429796

PILOT JET 60 part# 423000

That's a partial list, I'm looking to get the dyno spring and some type of exhaust.

With exhaust I'm open to suggestion as I've read about a few on this site. I just haven't found exact year specs on the products. I'm thinking either SUPERTRAPP , BIG GUN EVO, OR THE WHITE BROS E2. As far as exhaust goes, I'm hoping the stated 06 models fit the 07 and just haven't been updated yet. With the dyno spring I haven't located that # yet.

Any help in locating the part #'s would be much appreciated. Also other insights and need it now tips or parts would be helpful. thx

I must add, of course, that I am currently at sea level and most riding will be at t sea lvl to 2000 ft elevation. thx again.

I'm not really a fan of the K&N's if there is a lot of dirt riding involved. They let too much fine dust through.

Unless you add the pipe those jets might be a tad rich. I think the recommended Dave's mod jets are 158/55, but I'm not sure.

thx Cleo. I hate to say it but I'm usually on the street so a 80/20 split. I know k&n's have pretty wide screening but I've been running one on my dodge for 5 yrs and the compression is still good. what would you use, is it the twin air or the uni?

Also, I've been backtracking threads and I've notice that D's mods aren't the same as dj kit. I guess one is cheaper than the other, I'm currently w/out room for a shop so some things will go to Itawi m/c's that i live next to. So I'm hoping the dj kit covers it, do u know if it comes as a kit or that i need to order individual parts to complete the package?

ok, not to argue with u about jets, but do u think the 162/58 would be rich also? thx for any help, I'm really trying to define just what i might need before i buy instead of post haste.

thx Cleo. I hate to say it but I'm usually on the street so a 80/20 split. I know k&n's have pretty wide screening but I've been running one on my dodge for 5 yrs and the compression is still good. what would you use, is it the twin air or the uni?

Also, I've been backtracking threads and I've notice that D's mods aren't the same as dj kit. I guess one is cheaper than the other, I'm currently w/out room for a shop so some things will go to Itawi m/c's that i live next to. So I'm hoping the dj kit covers it, do u know if it comes as a kit or that i need to order individual parts to complete the package?

ok, not to argue with u about jets, but do u think the 162/58 would be rich also? thx for any help, I'm really trying to define just what i might need before i buy instead of post haste.

If you are going with the DJET kit, you may want the 165 that comes witht the kit. DRILL the slide as well. You will need a pilot, as it doesnt come with the DJET kit. A 55 pilot should be good. Go with uni filters, K&N works but not for me.

Take the intake tube off of your Dodge one day and let us know if there is(and how much!) fine dirt is layered on the inside of the tube.

Take the intake tube off of your Dodge one day and let us know if there is(and how much!) fine dirt is layered on the inside of the tube.

ok, on the the tube check, i've wondered myself. i'll get a clean white cloth and take a pic. post sometime tomorrow. i hope it won't b too dirty. i've heard a lot about k&n being too gappy, a friends' toyota trucks' problem light went off about 4 months after installing the k&n and it was fine dirt clogging the sensor. so, i'll be glad to check. mind you, i've cleaned it twice already and i understand that it works better dirty than clean, but we r talking 'bout the inside breather, so let's see.

ok, on the the tube check, i've wondered myself. i'll get a clean white cloth and take a pic. post sometime tomorrow. i hope it won't b too dirty. i've heard a lot about k&n being too gappy, a friends' toyota trucks' problem light went off about 4 months after installing the k&n and it was fine dirt clogging the sensor. so, i'll be glad to check. mind you, i've cleaned it twice already and i understand that it works better dirty than clean, but we r talking 'bout the inside breather, so let's see.

The only reason I mentioned that is that by working on Toyota's everyday, I see what K&N's do to MAF sensors. Like your friend has seen.

yeah, i have cleaned the maf before, but as a precaution-no lights have popped up since i had the 02 dodge. but check it i will.

you got a sweet ride!

any ideas about the exhaust? noise doesn't matter but performance does. like today, i made a really steep, sharp turn and the motor nearly cut out. it makes me remember- my old xl600 back in the 80's would grind any tight turn. if i remember correctly it had a big mouth on it with 12 plates. it always carried thru. would the strapp be better?

yeah, i have cleaned the maf before, but as a precaution-no lights have popped up since i had the 02 dodge. but check it i will.

you got a sweet ride!

any ideas about the exhaust? noise doesn't matter but performance does. like today, i made a really steep, sharp turn and the motor nearly cut out. it makes me remember- my old xl600 back in the 80's would grind any tight turn. if i remember correctly it had a big mouth on it with 12 plates. it always carried thru. would the strapp be better?

I can't tell you what's best, but anything is a vast improvement over the stock exhaust. That tiny hole in the baffle just truly is like a cork in the exhaust. Most shed a few pounds over stock as well.

Where is everyone getting the little washer, and what exatly are people asking for ... Went to radio shack (a suggested source) and asked about a kit they might have that would include a washer of that size to be used on my motorcycle. They went into vapor lock when it registered that I was gonna use something from "the Shack" for my M/C motor. The guy's facial tick kicked in and he started repeating "washer, motorcycle, Radio Shack" over and over. Lost cause...

Not really...but you get the picture:banghead:

Where is everyone getting the little washer, and what exatly are people asking for ... Went to radio shack (a suggested source) and asked about a kit they might have that would include a washer of that size to be used on my motorcycle. They went into vapor lock when it registered that I was gonna use something from "the Shack" for my M/C motor. The guy's facial tick kicked in and he started repeating "washer, motorcycle, Radio Shack" over and over. Lost cause...

Not really...but you get the picture:banghead:

I think that a hobby store is a good source. They carry a line of hardware called Dubro. I don't remember which one, but one of the little washers is just the right size. Perhaps it is 4-40 size, but like I said I'm not sure.

well i took the pics before/after & as far as i can tell the cloth i used was clean. i wiped the tube all the way to the turbo and even i was surprised it was so clean. the dirt was on the backside of cloth & that was from my fingers getting dirty opening the breather box. i'm not one to tell others to use the k&n but it would seem to be working as specified at least in my truck. can the same performance carry over to the bike? well one user deems the k&n worthy, i'd like to have more opinions posted. but as i would like to gets mods started i guess i'll go the safe route w/the uni. thx again

i could post pics but as i said there is no visual difference.