07 clutch vs. the 06

So I went to order a spare clutch kit today for my 07, I got the big shock to find out its going to cost me $113 more for the kit in comparison to my 06 :confused: So I did some looking around to find out what exactly changed to make my clutch worth more than gold itself.

The 06 and 07 share the same clutch basket and clutch boss. The 07 has a different pressure plate and uses 1 less steel plate and one less fiber. Also the steel plates are a different number than the 06 but the fibers haven't changed.

Has anyone had both steel plates in their hands? I just wonder what they changed to need 1 less plated of each. Either the pressure plate is thicker, or the steel plates are.. just wondering what is what. It would be nice If I could get away with using an 06 kit for my 07 and just have 2 plates left over.

Price in cdn $

$229 for a hinson kit for the 07

$116 for the GYTR kit for the 06 (no listing for 07 as of yet)

So I went to order a spare clutch kit today for my 07, I got the big shock to find out its going to cost me $113 more for the kit in comparison to my 06 :confused: So I did some looking around to find out what exactly changed to make my clutch worth more than gold itself.

The 06 and 07 share the same clutch basket and clutch boss. The 07 has a different pressure plate and uses 1 less steel plate and one less fiber. Also the steel plates are a different number than the 06 but the fibers haven't changed.

Has anyone had both steel plates in their hands? I just wonder what they changed to need 1 less plated of each. Either the pressure plate is thicker, or the steel plates are.. just wondering what is what. It would be nice If I could get away with using an 06 kit for my 07 and just have 2 plates left over.

Price in cdn $

$229 for a hinson kit for the 07

$116 for the GYTR kit for the 06 (no listing for 07 as of yet)

The thickness of the plates are whats different.

Yea, i found this out too. Putting a 06 Hinson BTL slipper in my bike the stack thickness was totally off. But all I had to do was get the 06 steel plates and just one more fiber. As Todd said, only diff is that the 07 steels are thicker so one less steel/fiber is used. Hinson told me they actually prefer the 06 setup since it uses one more steel and one more fiber.

Thanks for the confirmation. Well just an idea here, but why not change the pressure plate back to an 06, then use the 06 clutch? Is the new clutch Yamaha has any better, less chance of warping the plates with them being thicker? I'm just curious because I use up a few clutches, so it may be cheaper to change out the pressure plate and go back to the 06 setup in the long run.

basically i am using an 06 clutch. the btl slipper is for the 06 model, and i'm using all 06 steels. fibers are the same, just using 1 more than the 07 normally uses because the 06 steels are thinner. I don't really remember why Hinson liked the 06 clutch better, i kow it was something to do with using more plates and fibers, but i don't recall exactly why it was better.

I think you will be ok just runnung the stock 06 set up.

Ya I think it should work. I ordered up the clutch so hopefully should know by next week if it will work. It just doesn't make sense to pay over $100 more for the 07 clutch when they are pretty much the same thing.

Ya I think it should work. I ordered up the clutch so hopefully should know by next week if it will work. It just doesn't make sense to pay over $100 more for the 07 clutch when they are pretty much the same thing.

I have about 3 complete clutch kits for the 06. Never had to use them. I sold the 06 and havent got around to change the one in my 08....but i will be definitely checking it out...I think it will work just fine.