XR650R DS mods and Speedo ?'s

I recently got a new XR650R and I have been collecting the parts to uncork it and now I am looking for the parts to Dual Sport it. I already have it plated, MT does not even check, but I will have it legal prior to riding it on the street.

I would like to take a minimalist approach to the DS kit. I want it complete but I do not want a battery or battery pack. By complete I mean I want it to have all turn signals, high/low beam, horn, speedo and brake lights.

If possible I would like to use the existing headlight but just mod it to use a high and low beam bulb, if not then I would like to use as much of the existing parts as possible.

Here is what I am thinking:

Turn signals - Procycle LED

Brake light - Procycle LED, Procycle hydraulic switch

Wire Harness - Procycle, but I am not sure if they require a battery...

Horn - Procycle

Speedo - I don't know on this one, I am NOT going to get an electronic one, leaning towards one off an older bike to use the existing speedo cable. I prefer small but not round.

Headlight - need advice on this...

Stator - Will do the rewind if I can figure it out, I am sure I can, once I get into it. I am handy if not a mechanic...

I want the parts to be simple and bulletproof. I can really use the insight of the forum, any advice or comments are welcome.

I recently got a new XR650R and I have been collecting the parts to uncork it and now I am looking for the parts to Dual Sport it. I already have it plated, MT does not even check, but I will have it legal prior to riding it on the street.

I would like to take a minimalist approach to the DS kit. I want it complete but I do not want a battery or battery pack. By complete I mean I want it to have all turn signals, high/low beam, horn, speedo and brake lights.

If possible I would like to use the existing headlight but just mod it to use a high and low beam bulb, if not then I would like to use as much of the existing parts as possible.

Here is what I am thinking:

Turn signals - Procycle LED

Brake light - Procycle LED, Procycle hydraulic switch

Wire Harness - Procycle, but I am not sure if they require a battery...

Horn - Procycle

Speedo - I don't know on this one, I am NOT going to get an electronic one, leaning towards one off an older bike to use the existing speedo cable. I prefer small but not round.

Headlight - need advice on this...

Stator - Will do the rewind if I can figure it out, I am sure I can, once I get into it. I am handy if not a mechanic...

I want the parts to be simple and bulletproof. I can really use the insight of the forum, any advice or comments are welcome.

I choose a 1985 XL600 speedo/odo for my XR650RDS, and love it. 48.00 on ebay.

The BRP is stone cold reliable, once you get the jetting dialed in. I opted for an Edlebrock, which is completly foolproof, and un-floodable.

This is funny,I just turned my computer searching for the same thing.I have heard bad things about led tail lights,you can only see them from straight on,not visible from a angle.

I too want to fab my own DS kit.Does anyone have any detailed instructions as far as wiring from stator to lights,will the stock reg.rectifator work?

Can we use a XRL speedo and cable?Will the stock stator supply all the accressories?

Sorry for jumping in AEmedic.

My LED brakelight is more visible than my old halogen (candlelight) was...at any angle.

I would recommend a trailtech vapor. I had an analog speedo and if you ride at night the trailtech is better. Scratch that the trailtech is better in any condition. Has cool features like water temp and RPM's too.

I use motrax LED signals and I recommend them as they have a little light on the side too for enhanced visibility. Pretty cheap as well, paid $19 for mine.

I would NOT use a hydraulic switch, I have used 2 which have both FAILED on me. Leaks developed out the top. Thank god it was only on my rear brake both times (once on the sportbike which used rearsets), but imagine my surprise when I stomped the read and barely rolled to a stop. This happened while I was carrying the wife on the back, so I needed all the braking I could get.

I would get a front master off a sportbike that has a built in switch ($40 for a radial style off a new GSXR off ebay), and use a mechanical switch for the rear.

Headlights its all eye of the beholder. They come in every shape size and color. Acerbis is always a nice bulletproof option, and they have plenty of 55W variants out.

Hey AEmedic,I just ran across a good write up.I don't know how to put the address on here,but here is the address:www.farplaces.com

That is a pretty good write up. I really do not want to use a battery though... I am going to rewind the stator and should get enough power out of that, at least I think so... My state does not require the lights to work when the bike is not running so I am good on that regard.

I would recommend a trailtech vapor. I had an analog speedo and if you ride at night the trailtech is better. Scratch that the trailtech is better in any condition. Has cool features like water temp and RPM's too.

I do not want to go this route, I want it simple and the fewer pieces the better. A stocker off an older bike will use the existing speedo cable and isn't as fragile... not as cool though!

I am not trying to argue, but I also had a mechanical speedo and ended up with the trailtech so i'm just offering another perspective. :confused:

I found it alot simpler to go electronic, remove the pesky speedo drive and cable which can get snagged on things and has to be cleaned/lubed every now and then, and the trailtech is infinitely more accurate. The wiring is super easy, and if you decide not to use the temperature sensors it is a matter of hooking it up to a battery, thats about it. It can also be mounted to your bars, so that makes a possibly complex install very easy. It seems pretty durable too, and they sell a guard, etc for it if you are an abuser. Plus if you ever change wheels or tire radius you can adjust speed readings.

Ok, just wanted to share since I wish I knew all that stuff before I hooked up my analog!

I ordered the headlight lens from an '85 XR500 for my XR650R. It's exactly the same shape, it is just made of glass so it won't melt when you push a standard 55/60 H4 bulb in the back. I'll still need to find an H4 socket to wire into my loom, but that shouldn't be hard to find on ebay or through motorcycle salvage. I'll pick up some 1/2" square wire mesh to zip-tie over the front as a roost guard.

If you are looking for simple and minimalist you can try the XR500 lens route.

• Like 1

If I have a small battery like a 1.2 amp/hr.,do I still need to rewind my stator?

Will it power a high beam head light,horn,turn signals,and a brake light?

Can I use the stock regulator/rectifier?

Do I still need a voltage regulator?

I recommend at the very least the kit below. Cheap and easy to install, and with reduced voltage requirements you will have more available for the headlight.

The Edge2 is a nice addition also along with the flush mount turn signals.

I also went with BD Speedo, but made my own mounting bracket out of a piece of stainless so it would mount a little better.

I just got off the phone with Procycle, nice guys! I put in an order for the #2 kit, it seems to come with most everything I need, with the exception of the new headlight lens and speedo. I am still looking for those two as well as the goodies to rewind the stator.

I ordered the headlight lens from an '85 XR500 for my XR650R. It's exactly the same shape, it is just made of glass so it won't melt when you push a standard 55/60 H4 bulb in the back. I'll still need to find an H4 socket to wire into my loom, but that shouldn't be hard to find on ebay or through motorcycle salvage. I'll pick up some 1/2" square wire mesh to zip-tie over the front as a roost guard.

If you are looking for simple and minimalist you can try the XR500 lens route.

I went to order the lens you mentioned and the dealer told me that there was no XR500 in 85, just an XR600, I was really hoping to order that...