HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
butcharin

Powder Coated Frame!

36 posts in this topic

The pig has been in pieces since Nov. I finally got my new ring so I could get the motor back together and painted. I Powder coated and man does it look great. The pictures just don't do it justice. The snow is melting and I am just itching to get out and ride. I have it about half together. My chain and sprockets will get here this week. :excuseme:index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=629159&imageID=25278218&MyToken=84b505de-90de-4318-9a7a-c5d97e127e67

index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=629159&imageID=25278220

index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=629159&imageID=25278221

Anyone got any tips for removing the old stickers off the swing arm?:confused:

Use a heat gun on the stickers to warm them up, then they peel up a little easier. Then goof off to clean the residue off

Nice. Looks too pretty to get dirty. I have been wanting to do my frame in grey or silver to get rid of the chipped and banged up white frame.

If they made the plastics I want I would concider doing it.

What I want to do to mine is.

Charcoal grey plastics

Carbon fiber and black accents

Dark grey frame or silver (powder coated)

black rims (Excell)

stainless steel spokes

black powder coated engine with fins shaved to bare aluminum and stainless bolts and hardware.

Too bad it will never happen.

RH

What did you use to paint the engine?

I used Dulpi Color Engine Enamel. It takes a while to set. I'll find out how well it work after It goes through a heat cycle. :confused: Usually that helps them set better.

Nice. Looks too pretty to get dirty. I have been wanting to do my frame in grey or silver to get rid of the chipped and banged up white frame.

If they made the plastics I want I would concider doing it.

What I want to do to mine is.

Charcoal grey plastics

Carbon fiber and black accents

Dark grey frame or silver (powder coated)

black rims (Excell)

stainless steel spokes

black powder coated engine with fins shaved to bare aluminum and stainless bolts and hardware.

Too bad it will never happen.

RH

Why would you want to shave the fins??,:excuseme::confused: wont that make it run hotter? I see mods where they weld on fin extensions, to aid in cooling,and it looks really trick,to me anyway.:excuseme:

I think he means to powder coat then clean the coat off of the fin ends so they are bare aluminum but the rest is coated. Would look pretty cool.

I think he means to powder coat then clean the coat off of the fin ends so they are bare aluminum but the rest is coated. Would look pretty cool.

Yea you got the idea. But like I said It will never happen with my budget. I ride the bike too much to take it apart anyways. I would need another bike to ride while I did the work anyways.

Will's bike will look slick when it is done.

RH

Duplicolor engine paints work extremely well when prepped correctly, my engine in my truck still looks good after about 5 years, its all duplicolor blue and black

I have few questions. With what color did you used to paint the motor?Web-Link???

Did you take it to sand cleaning? Or simply cleaned it before the painting.

You did it yourself or at the garage?

I’m rebuilding a 94 XR650L. And I would like to do the same. Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Ziki

:confused:

I have few questions. With what color did you used to paint the motor?Web-Link???

Did you take it to sand cleaning? Or simply cleaned it before the painting.

You did it yourself or at the garage?

I’m rebuilding a 94 XR650L. And I would like to do the same. Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Ziki

:confused:

I used Dulpi Color Engine Enamel. The color is Aluminum. You can get it at any automotive store. I cleaned up the motor good and then painted it. The biggest thing is to let the paint cure. I have had pretty good luck with this stuff. It usually cures better after the motor has been heated. I painted it in my garage. Make sure it is above 50.

Finished Pics!:prof:

000_0233.jpg

000_0232.jpg

000_0231.jpg

000_0230.jpg

000_0229.jpg

All I need now are new Fenders. Man I cant wait till more of the snow melts.:bonk: