2007 XR650L I got SCREWD!!!

Had the Pig a week and I just figured out I got sold a California model in Oklahoma. No wonder it was so cheap. Thing runs like crap. Cuts out in the first twist of the throttle. 120 miles on it and I hate it already. HELP me get this crap off my bike. :confused:

There IS A DIFFERENCE between the regular ol' smog crap, and the Cali Crap...The evap canister and some extra hoses....

And the is a difference in the VIN to show for it...JH2RD060xxxxxxx is a non-Cali model....JH2RD061xxxxxxx is a Cali compliant model

The Key is the Honda "model" portion of the number...RD060 means a XR650L...RD061 means XR650LC

also carbs are different...VE85C B on non cali's

VE86B B on power sucking tree huggin' Cali compliant turds

Oh yeah...another dead give away...The NON locking gas cap for the cali models...Not that the lock did any thing...Its easier to drain someones tank from the petcock than siphon it out.

Have no fear, I also got one here in December. The smog junk is ugly but doesn't do much for performance, or lack thereof. Get the smog block-off kit and follow the steps to get rid of that crap. Then remove the air box snorkle under the seat and while you are there either do the Dave's Mods or a DynoJet kit, install a #55 pilot jet, cut the tab of the fuel bowl so you can adjust the idle mixture, take a dremel tool the the headpipe welds, and install a Uni Filter. These are simple things that can be done in an afternoon and make a HUGE difference in the way the bike performs. After that, look into an aftermarket exhaust.

There is a lot of information available here and at 4strokes.com that address Dave's Mods. I waited until I had the first 600 miles on the bike and the first service out of the way before I did anything other than stockpile the parts. I had the same reaction you did, "A California model here in Oklahoma. ***!!!" I did all of the above, with the DynoJet kit and a 4.0 gallon Clarke tank. The bike easily pulls the front wheel off the ground in first with a little throttle, and in second with some clutch. I have not changed my exhaust, yet. (Getting the money together.) My gearing is stock and I have not made any other changes than what was mentioned. Don't dispair. When you get done, nobody will know we have the Cali bikes.

BTW...What part of Oklahoma?

-Joe

• Like 1

GEEEZ!!! You would think if you don't live in California you are safe from all their BS. Guess that can't be taken for granted now. :excuseme:

A non-Cali would have needed all the same mods to really shine anyway. All it means is an extra step or two during smog block off. Don't sweat it. Just start gathering parts - smog kit, jets, and filter. :confused:

Good luck!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are all California compliant. I bought my 2005 in Utah new and it had all the smog stuff. All the ones I see here in Idaho at the dealers including the used 2000 model I had a few years ago had the smog stuff.

Focus your energy on the Daves mods and the rest of the desmog. It will be a much different bike when your done. Enjoy.

As far as the smog regs go, the feds use the same as California with a two year delay. California had new smog regs in 2006 and 2008. Those same regs went federal in 2008 and 2010.

Do Dave's mods and it will be a lot better. If you are expecting a XR650L to work like a CRF450 then your are going to be disappointed.

Like what was already said, I think you have nothing to worry about. The engine should be the same and when you do the infamous "Daves mods" you should have the same smooth running bike that many other members have from all the other states:prof:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are all California compliant. I bought my 2005 in Utah new and it had all the smog stuff. All the ones I see here in Idaho at the dealers including the used 2000 model I had a few years ago had the smog stuff.

Focus your energy on the Daves mods and the rest of the desmog. It will be a much different bike when your done. Enjoy.

They ALL have the smog stuff from '93 up. It is my understanding that Cali models have several more vacuum hoses/connectors in the area between the carb and head (intake) than do non-Calis. My '06 non-Cali only needed 1 of the small vacuum caps to complete the smog removal, though the IMS kit came with 4. I always thought there were 4 included because Cali models need them for all those extra connectors. Maybe IMS just needs to unload some rubber caps though. :confused:

I beleive the 06 and up have a charcoal cannister on the front of the frame as well.

This bike is a lean running pig stock. No power. With exhaust, rejetting(IE daves mods), a cam and hicomp piston, they will put some good power down. The bonus is the torque.

Regearing to 14/45, 14/48 or 15/48 will help a ton as well. Still good on the highway.

I beleive the 06 and up have a charcoal cannister on the front of the frame as well.

This bike is a lean running pig stock. No power. With exhaust, rejetting(IE daves mods), a cam and hicomp piston, they will put some good power down. The bonus is the torque.

Regearing to 14/45, 14/48 or 15/48 will help a ton as well. Still good on the highway.

Martinfan is right. The only difference between the California and Non-California 2007 XRL is the addition of a vent line that goes from the gas cap down to the left front of the frame and into a charcoal canister. From there, there is an extra vacuum line that goes to the carb. The carb has an extra port for this line.

When you de-smog it all comes off and the extra port is capped. The vent line is extended and "t'd" into to bowl drain line off the carb to run down the back of the motor, or you can add a stubby check-valve vent to the fuel cap or repalce it with the non-CA cap, if you are going to keep the stock tank on the bike.

I've got some before and after pics of mine if I can figure out how to post them.

-Joe

back in 1987 I bought a XL600R in Washington State that was in reality a California model. The difference was in the carbs. Long story but I got a stick jammed in between the carbs while out riding one day and splitting the carbs apart - breaking the fuel joint and one mount on the carbs. Dealer in Mt Vernon, WA, repaired it and told me that they had ordered and installed the correct 49 state carbs, don't know if he was right - but man it ripped after that. Best of all I only paid for one carb! HONDA bought the other one, as they had never seen this predictment before, like it was a falw in thier engineering...

I don't think the carbs on the XR650L today are any different on any model california or not. Your bike simply needs the standard uncorking mods and a good aftermarket pipe.

If this works, I have the before (with California smog) and after smog-ectomy pics.

2007XR650L003.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

Looks like technology didn't kick my butt today! In the top pic, just below the left wing is the charcoal canister for the California models.

-Joe