XL600R Clutch lifter arm spring

I had the engine apart (and back together) about five years ago. Recently I decided to get the bike back in good running order.

I notice that the clutch handle does not have much resistance to it. You just about have to push the handle back yourself.

I see the spring on the clutch lifter arm and figure that maybe when I had it apart, I didn't crank this thing down around to create enough tension. I don't want to the case apart again and I'm wondering what my options are.

From the manual, it looks like I can't remove/replace the lifter arm without opening the case. Is that right? It doesn't look like I can tighten the spring without doing that.

Any suggestions or hacks to suggest?

Thanks

Mark

I thought that the spring that you are talking about is external on the clutch arm where the cable goes. It mounts on the stator cover. That is the spring that returns the clutch lever to it's non actuated position.

I thought that the spring that you are talking about is external on the clutch arm where the cable goes. It mounts on the stator cover. That is the spring that returns the clutch lever to it's non actuated position.

Yes, that's right. I think that's what needs to be wound up more. I don't think this can be done without opening the case and pulling the arm out. Am I wrong?

Mark

To me the "case" means splitting the center to get at the crank or transmission. To get at this you only have to remove the stator cover.