600 carb pumping gas out vent line

hello all ,

what does it mean when i try to kick my 600 over and fuel pours out of a carb vent line ? the bike has been sitting all winter if that is of use. i turn the petcock on and i notice fuel starts to drip out a little bit and when i kick it over the fuel comes out more freely.

time to get my big XR ready for another riding season. :confused:

hello all ,

what does it mean when i try to kick my 600 over and fuel pours out of a carb vent line ? the bike has been sitting all winter if that is of use. i turn the petcock on and i notice fuel starts to drip out a little bit and when i kick it over the fuel comes out more freely.

time to get my big XR ready for another riding season. :confused:

It means your carb bowl is overflowing. The floats aren't able to do their job of shutting off the fuel at the appropriate level. Time for a carb clean/rebuild.

datz smoov butta !

You can try light tapping with the handle of a screwdriver on the side of the carb bowl if the floats are stuck....sometimes that can yield a temporary resolution....ultimately, though, the only sure fire fix is to tear it apart and clean/rebuild it.

It happened to my XR650L last spring. Fuel was running out of the overflow line as I was riding. Turned out the float was stuck due to ice from the gas I bought at a local station. I learned that this particular retailor was known to let his tanks get too low before calling in the fuel bowser, hence the water in the gas.

Anyway, got rid of the ice (and water in the gas) and never had a problem since.