yz426 worth rebuilding?

Im wondering what you guys think, i have a 2000 yzf426, the bike is in need of new valves, a piston and rings. my question is, is the thing even worth the trouble of rebuilding?....i bought it about 2 years ago, and got a good deal on it, it is fairly heavly modded, and has suspension work done, but im just wondering if its worth fixing up, or should i just part it out? Any input would be great....thanks!

also, i have full intentions of buying a new yzf, but thought if it was worth it i would ride this one more season and get a 09 as soon as they come out...anyways any opinions would be great.

I don't know what the value job would cost, but I just bought a piston kit and gasket set for $156.00. IMO it would depend on how much the values would cost, but I would most likely rebuilt it.

If all it needs is a top end done, I would say that it is worth the time, effort and money. Especially if you are able to do all the work yourself (less any needed machining).

I just rebuilt a 2002 WR250 and I think it's worth it if you think you'll be happy overall with the bike in the end. Shouldn't cost too much and probably take less time and headache then party the thing out.

I just had a top end done on my bike and went with the whole 2000 426 valve train, new valves, cam chain, piston, rings, gaskets, and auto decomp exhaust cam. Altogether it came to $500 in parts, $200 in labor. You could easily do this for $300 in parts if you skipped the exhaust cam and some of the little valve pieces I had to buy due to the conversion on my 2001.

I have the breakdown of all the parts I ordered from TT and Rocky Mtn. with part numbers in an Excel spreadsheet if you would like it.

Valves are about 60 bucks each = 300 bucks.

Springs are about 6 bucks each = 30 bucks

Cutting the seats is about 25 bucks each = 125 bucks

Piston kit is about 175 bucks

Gaskets and crap qbout 75 bucks

All up figure 750 bucks for the whole deal.

NADA says it's worth between 1750 and 2280 bucks

If you like the bike and can do the work yourself, I'd say it's worth it...

Except that it's a 2000 model with stainless valves, and using TT OEM parts,

Valves are $8 each for the intakes, and $20 for the exhaust = $64

Springs are $3.50 = $18

Piston kit (piston, rings, pin, clips) is $130

Changes things a little, no?

wow thanks alot for the quick replies, being my first 4 stroke, i figuired i was in for quite a bit more shock then that, i think i'll keep it now after reading your replies, i can do all the work myself so i will save big time on labour, again i appriciate the fast replies guys.

Let a competent motorcycle cylinder head machinist disassemble, rework, and reassemble the head for you. Otherwise, yes, you should be able to manage the job on your own.

Except that it's a 2000 model with stainless valves, and using TT OEM parts,

Valves are $8 each for the intakes, and $20 for the exhaust = $64

Springs are $3.50 = $18

Piston kit (piston, rings, pin, clips) is $130

Changes things a little, no?

Just makes it more worth it!

Where are you getting your prices from?

Did you shop around at all? I have found many sites that list different prices for the exact same OEM parts.

TT Store...I shopped around a bunch before I rebuilt my 01 WR426 and they were the best overall for the parts I needed by a couple of Benjamins (there was a crankshaft in there, too!)...but as Grayracer pointed out, those are the prices for Ti stuff from 01's and 02's, not SS that came on the 00's