Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuaneW

600R Sprocket questions -something weird here

15 posts in this topic

I was helping my brother put some parts on his 96 600R last night. He picked up new sprockets and a chain from the TT store. He had a 45 Tooth sprocket on the back so that is what we ordered again. Both sprockets say 45T on them but his new sprocket is at least an inch smaller diameter. :excuseme: Any thoughts? I grabbed a sprocket off of my DRZ and it is the same size as his new sprocket so I am wondering if the XR takes a special sprocket or if the previous owner (total idiot) bought one for a ATV or something. It is waiting on other parts so we can not test ride it... are we idiots or is something screwy going on here. :confused: Thanks

Yes it is 45... I compared it to my 44T off my DRZ and they were definately comporable in size.

If it has actually 45 teeth, try to mount it up. As long as the bolt holes/pattern line up, run it! Use a little blue loctite.

It says C45 on the side but I did not count it. I ran out of fingers and toes at 11 :confused:

The new chain fit fine... he trashed the old chain so we could not compare. I guess we will just ride it and see how it does. I just wanted to make sure that it was not a special size or type of sprocket for the XR. This is the one he got (JTR210-45) I verified the stock # on the bag and it was correct.

There was another thread here about this issue. The JTR210 might not be the correct sprocket. JT's website specs a JTR301 for a XR600. The only difference is the size of the bolt holes. The JTR210 has 8.5mm holes and JTR301 has 10.5mm holes.

If you plan on riding tight single track the 45 tooth sprocket isn't the best. The stock one has 48 teeth, and I like that better for the tight stuff. If you are riding more open trails and/or roads then the 45 will keep the revs down some.

I run 14/48 normally and a steel on the rear. I like the extra life. Not much choice with steel. It's pretty much 45 or 48. If I'm going to do some major miles of high speed I put on a 15. I want to try a 13 for the goat trails.

The gearing on the 600 and 650L are different on the inside of the engine. First gear is a little lower on the 650L. The 600 is 13/33 and the 650L is 12/32 for first. The ratio on gears 2 through 5 are the same. The primary reduction is a little different. Don't know how many teeth are on the clutch, but the 600 has a 32 teeth on the crank gear and the 650L has 34.

What does that mean? The 600 is geared a little lower than the 650L even with the same final gearing.

There was another thread here about this issue. The JTR210 might not be the correct sprocket. JT's website specs a JTR301 for a XR600. The only difference is the size of the bolt holes. The JTR210 has 8.5mm holes and JTR301 has 10.5mm holes.

I agree. :confused:

I just got a JT210 for my '06 XR650L and it has the smaller diameter tapered bolt holes, and doesn't fit with the stock bolts. :excuseme:

I decided that instead of drilling the holes out bigger and then mounting it backwards (tapered part in), that I'd just order a new OEM one from Honda , that way I know it will fit. :excuseme:

Thanks guys I think he might have drilled out the holes. We are going to stick it back together and give it a go tonight. thanks for all the help I love TT I spend all the time on the DRZ forum but as nice as you guys are you might convince me to switch from blue to red. :confused:

Heh,heh, I have to chuckle.

C45 is the type of steel that JT uses on many of their sprockets, not the size designation. On the JT sprockets and some other brands as well, you will see the size designation number at the end of the part number stamped on the sprocket. Example, JTXXXXXX-45

Some brands do stamp the sprocket size seperately, somewhere else on the sprocket as well.

Any sprocket of the same number of teeth that is meant for use with the same chain size/pitch, ie., 520, 428, 420 etc., will be the same size diameter regardless of what type or brand of machine. Of course the bolt hole pattern or bolt size could differ and not fit your bike.

If the new sprocket is the correct sprocket for the bike, it sounds as if the old sprocket is actually a larger aftermarket JT also, if I read correctly. I believe you did say that it said "C45" on it as well, which tells me it is also a JT. If I am correct, look at the end of the part number after the hyphen as I mentioned above for it's size reference.

There is a gearing calculator on 4strokes.com if you are interested.