NX250 vs. KLR 250

i know the KLR has been stateside for along time (replaced by the KLX250 now) but what i was wondering is how Honda's NX250 stacks up against the class leader KLR (well the new KLX is even better but out of my price range)... ill mainly be using it on road but i dont mind riding ANY trails i see on my way to where im going so.. let me know what y'all think...N8

I haven't rode a KLR but my NX250 is a great bike with a supprising amount of power. It will pull 80mph easily but its getting close to the indicated redline of 9,000 rpms. I generally keep it between 70 and 75.

The soft shock is the only real weak link to the bike, Works Performance makes a much better replacement.

Here is the link to my NX250 Dakar project... http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1952

266628964_NoDdo-M.jpg

Don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

The KLR may gain a little edge in versatility, with a 17" rear wheel and 21" front right out of the box; KLR's liquid-cooled, NX, air-cooled (I think).

If you go with the KLR, I'd recommend a skid plate with more protection for the water pump housing and plumbing, like Utah Cycle Sport's. Technology essentially unchanged for a generation (25 years; e.g., drum rear brake), but . . . at least, the bugs should be worked out by now. Replacement parts readily available, but . . . strangely, few aftermaket accessories.

Again, either choice looks good; and, either bike's infinitely better than no bike at all!

never seen a nx 250 before. thats a sweet bike. Im gonna give the Honda shop a hard time now. they should have them in showroom

never seen a nx 250 before. thats a sweet bike. Im gonna give the Honda shop a hard time now. they should have them in showroom

LOL, 1990 was the last year that Honda imported them to the US. They were very popular in other countries. This is what they look like stock...

231294229_6oGZW-M.jpg

231294335_umzsc-M.jpg

Its a real shame, isnt it?

LOL, 1990 was the last year that Honda imported them to the US. They were very popular in other countries. This is what they look like stock...

231294229_6oGZW-M.jpg

231294335_umzsc-M.jpg

i guess i never will see one in the shop. thats a shame, cool ass bike guys.:confused:

Kicked tires on a (an?) NX125 on a Manassas dealer's lot yesterday; a nice-looking bike suitable for a museum.

Thanks to the pictures on this thread, I thought, "Ain't that a NX?" Indeed, it is!

hi there..... i'm down here in little old New Zealand and thought i would put in my 2 cents. i have been riding since the age of 4, had loads of bikes, motorcross, road, cruisers, the lot. I have an AX-1 250 at the moment, basically an NX250 with a few factory mods (different swing arm, rear disc etc.) i love the little beast, it cruises easily with the 6 speed box and has enough grunt to make the twisties more than fun. for those who are interested i have included a before and after pic of the old girl.... i got her for $500 nz dollars, think she looks a million bucks now that i have given her a make over. i recommend them highly, especially for the cost..... dreaming of a DR650 now, would like to do it up the same and do some touring, gotta love dreaming.

44487986_full.jpg

DSC02485.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

heres my klr 250

2008_0401ridn0015.jpg

sweet ride bro, looks a lot like NZ in the background there, funny how the world all kinda looks the same.... have fun

Its a real shame, isnt it?

The only shame is that nobody bought them when they were here! :prof:

hi there..... i'm down here in little old New Zealand and thought i would put in my 2 cents. i have been riding since the age of 4, had loads of bikes, motorcross, road, cruisers, the lot. I have an AX-1 250 at the moment, basically an NX250 with a few factory mods (different swing arm, rear disc etc.) i love the little beast, it cruises easily with the 6 speed box and has enough grunt to make the twisties more than fun. for those who are interested i have included a before and after pic of the old girl.... i got her for $500 nz dollars, think she looks a million bucks now that i have given her a make over. i recommend them highly, especially for the cost..... dreaming of a DR650 now, would like to do it up the same and do some touring, gotta love dreaming.

44487986_full.jpg

DSC02485.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

Darn fine looking bike! :prof: Are those wheels stock?

Thanks. yeah they are stock, although they only came out in white, a little spray paint and the look a lot better in my opinion. Everytime i look at her i cant believe it is an 1988...... Rode the new yamaha wr250 today at the local shop, maybe its because its factory restricted, but my old girl would flog it, sure with some mods though the wr would be much better, not for the price but....

They also came in blue, red and green.