HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Man Rider

Lost Spark Plug Tool - suggestions?

13 posts in this topic

I lost the handy little spark plug tool that comes with the bike. I tried to find a slim socket that would fit in the hole with no luck - has anyone purchased a replacment from Yamaha - if so what is the part number? I also hear there are 3rd party knockoffs has anyone found one of these that works?

Any other solutions that you have used?

Thanks

I use a craftsman spark plug socket with a swivel and short extension, (5/8 i think) it works well as it has a rubber inside to retreive the plug.

Go to about any place that offers motorsports parts - it's actually a pretty cheap item in terms of cost and the way it's made. Otherwise, get the right size socket, small extensions and/or swivels.

Stanley makes a pretty cool socket wrench that has a stationary neck relative to typical wrenches. The ratcheting action is produced by twisting the handle and whatever direction you have it set to is the direction the socket turns no matter which way you are spinning the handle. Would work well for this with the correct size extension and a deep well socket. Then, one day it will come in handy for something else with a mechanical design OOPS.

I have 211 of those wrenches.

I'm sure I can part with one.

PM me and I'll tighten you up.

Us old men gotta stick together.

I use a sparkplug socket and a 3in extention to break it lose then I have to take off the extention because it wont fit out with the plug so then I push a 3/8 hose in the socket unscrew the rest of the way and pull it out.

If you still have any of the spark plug wrenches left I would gladly purchase one. Let me know. Thanks and happy New Year!

Bob