HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rontheman13

Which steering stabilizer for the L

10 posts in this topic

I need a fork brace and a steering stabilizer for my 07 650 L. Which will work the best, and will I need to replace my triple clamp. I ride about 70/30 dirt/street. I am really having a hard time riding in the sand on the pig. The front seems like it has to much play in it. I am running MT 21’s front (90/90-21) and rear (140/80-18) at about 18 PSI, with a 14 front and 48 rear sprocket. I also want to lower the pig which link is best. Let me know what you think? Thanks

Nothing is going to help in the sand, except offroad, soft terrain tires. And even then, not enough to feel like you're in control. Technique is the key. Stay loose, steer with the rear end and let the front go where it wants.

One must gas it in the sand. If you feel the front end drifting, do not let off the gas. This will slow you down and sink the front end further. You must give it gas and this will get the front end up and back on course.

I need a fork brace and a steering stabilizer for my 07 650 L. Which will work the best, and will I need to replace my triple clamp. I ride about 70/30 dirt/street. I am really having a hard time riding in the sand on the pig. The front seems like it has to much play in it. I am running MT 21’s front (90/90-21) and rear (140/80-18) at about 18 PSI, with a 14 front and 48 rear sprocket. I also want to lower the pig which link is best. Let me know what you think? Thanks

Rontheman,

I had a Scotts damper and RSW brace on my L. It made a big difference in sand, even more in rocks, clearly a noticeable improvement.

I had the complete upper clamp assembly, which is actually more work to install because you have to drill it to mount the instruments / headlight. The flip side of that is that you get a much better handlebar position and can run oversize bars.

It's a really good mod, but if you ride 70% off road, and think you would at some point consider a CRF fork swap, you might save the money for that eventuality instead of the XRL forks. It seems like a complex modification but it is actually not so bad.

BP

BP

Another vote for the RSW brace. It does help a bit. The front end used to feel like two noodles with a wheel in between.

Another vote for the RSW brace. It does help a bit. The front end used to feel like two noodles with a wheel in between.

Now it feels like one noodle.:confused:

Ron is a great guy to do business with!

I'm running a Scott's damper and it was a noticeable improvement. Even going down the highway, it really reduced the shimmy I was getting from the D606s. On rocks and wooded trails, it can be a lifesaver. :confused:

i think your limited to a scotts only as i havent seen any others for the L, i have a GPR and called them to see if they had a mount kit but they didnt so get a scotts and i know youll like using one, i dont ride desert without one after the first time i used it. There are some pics a ways back from last year of a setup on a L, may have to search a little but its there.

i ride mostly in very soft sand, the Scotts damper made a big difference.

For the first time I could sit on the bike without it fishtailing like crazy.

It still does the "weave" thing but not as much.

Deflate tires, stay loose, keep your eyes far ahead, let the bike move around. Weight back. When in doubt, give more power.