Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild Turkey

Cheapo rear disc guard

13 posts in this topic

When I bought my used L about 3 months ago I didn't know much about motorcycles, since then I have learned a ton about my bike and I have slowly been going through it looking for problems. I have been putting quite a bit of money into it since the moment I bought it, and I have learned that these things are money pits LOL.

So far I have performed an oil change, put on new turn signals, new tail light, new tool bag, all new chain sliders and guides (chain was digging into swingarm). I have also purchased a 4 gallon IMS tank, new jets, smog block off kit, stuff for Dave's mods, and am getting ready to purchase a new muffler (I still can't decide between the FMF Q2 and the WB XCR).

Let's just say that my wife isn't too impressed with all of the cool stuff I'm getting for the bike, women just don't understand. I noticed when I bought the bike that my rear plastic disc rotor guard was broken so I looked at my options and realized that I didn't want to pay 50 bucks for a little aluminum guard, and I didn't want to put another cheesy plastic one on either. So I picked up some scrap 1/4" aluminum from work and made one for a friend and I. I also plan on making a rear rack for our bikes too in the near future.

Here's how they turned out:

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474-1.jpg

I figure that I just added 2 horse power to my bike with this. :confused:

Nothing like the satisfaction of making parts yourself. Looks good! :confused:

I also have a lot of machining equipment at my disposal where I work and have been looking to make some custom parts for my ride. I think you just gave me an idea for my first piece. Nothing cooler than fabbing your own stuff. :excuseme:

BTW - with those custom anti turbulance, weight reduction holes I'd say you will feel at least a 5hp gain!

Nothing like the satisfaction of making parts yourself. Looks good! :confused:

I also have a lot of machining equipment at my disposal where I work and have been looking to make some custom parts for my ride. I think you just gave me an idea for my first piece. Nothing cooler than fabbing your own stuff. :excuseme:

BTW - with those custom anti turbulance, weight reduction holes I'd say you will feel at least a 5hp gain!

Thanks J, I used a hole saw, sawzall, and bead blaster on mine. I'm sure yours will turn out much nicer using machining equipment. I was trying to be a little modest with my stated HP gain, yes it does feel like I gained 5 horse. :excuseme:

i know its fun to make stuff but i just opted for the $40 from XRS only. dont have access to a flow jet so i figured id just but that one, plus its anodized and stuff already. homemade custom stuff is always the best.

Thanks J, I used a hole saw, sawzall, and bead blaster on mine. I'm sure yours will turn out much nicer using machining equipment.

Home cooked fab parts. :confused::excuseme: :excuseme:

Don't leave me alone with a piece of aluminum in my garage!

You're mighty fancy using a sawzall, though. I prefer my tree branch saw, personally:thumbsup:

dscf00097evik7.jpg

You're mighty fancy using a sawzall, though. I prefer my tree branch saw, personally:thumbsup:

dscf00097evik7.jpg

At least you picked the right tool for the job!:sweden:

LMAO, that's awesome. :sweden:

you trying to cut down a christmas three with that saw there Paul Bunyan??

paul-bunyan-02.jpg

JET YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS PIC!!!!

LMAO thats almost a spittin image of him!! ROFLMAO your name is Bunyan now buddy!!!!!

I did the exact same thing a few years ago for my 650L. It now has quite a few dings in it but is doing it's job perfectly.

Say what tail light is that exactly I am looking to get that one as soon as I now where to buy it thanks, Also I really do like your guard and I plan on making one for my self.

Say what tail light is that exactly I am looking to get that one as soon as I now where to buy it thanks, Also I really do like your guard and I plan on making one for my self.

Thanks Ryan. I purchased the taillight and turn signals from procycle , here's a link to the page you will need. http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

The light is the WPS dual sport taillight, procycle had them to me in two days. :prof: