YZ400F carb upgrade options

Hello,

I've spent I don't know how many hours searching and applying what I learned here about jetting the YZ400F. Got it running *ok* but I'm done messing with this carb :confused:

It was recommended by a vendor here that I upgrade to a newer model carb to easily solve most of the problems associated with the 99' model FCR.

Does anyone know which year YZF to get a carb from that will not necessitate a change in airbox or intake runners? What year bikes had the same diameters at the airbox and intake?

I'm considering the Edelbrock too but if I found the right FCR for a good price, I'd prefer to go that route.

I really like this bike - don't want to sell it.

Hello,

I've spent I don't know how many hours searching and applying what I learned here about jetting the YZ400F. Got it running *ok* but I'm done messing with this carb :confused:

It was recommended by a vendor here that I upgrade to a newer model carb to easily solve most of the problems associated with the 99' model FCR.

Does anyone know which year YZF to get a carb from that will not necessitate a change in airbox or intake runners? What year bikes had the same diameters at the airbox and intake?

I'm considering the Edelbrock too but if I found the right FCR for a good price, I'd prefer to go that route.

I really like this bike - don't want to sell it.

Sorry can't answer your question about diameters BUT I'm surprised ya can't get it running good with stock FCR. It's a good carb.

I got my '99 running well with basic adjustments; Richer main, 1 step richer clip position, richer pilot, fuel screw opened up some.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I tried several pilots, clip positions, main jets, adjustable fuel screw...all the mods listed here on Thumpertalk.

The best I ever got it running was "not good enough". I was able to go a full day trail riding but it was a lot of work.

I figure I have 40 hours or so and maybe $100 bucks into this carb problem. I'm ready to ditch it and buy something "known good" ya know?

Send it to zip-ty

What will ZipTy do?