What would you tell a new XR650R owner?

The only thing that is an absolute must is uncorking. It's cheap and easy, but still gives a lot more power. After that everything is optional. The engine has plenty of juice, the first serious $$$ should go into the suspension.

Change the oil often.

Don't let it sit in the garage, get out on it and ride!

Lets say your novice neighbor just picked up a new XR650R. What would your first piece of advice on owning, modding or maintaining this bike be?

You can leave out:

Ride it like you stole it and all those other lame cliche's. I'm looking for real stuff here fellas.

- drain the engine oil it came with and replace with dyno oil

- Remove aircleaner, clean, and re-install being sure to grease edge (I've

seen them come dry from dealers)

- break in with (3) heat cycles, and 'hard-seat' running method

- change oil and filter at 5 hours

- Re-grease the steering head and swingarm/linkage: can't be avoided!

- Now, uncork, re-jet, and ride it.

- First upgrades: ergonomics: seat height, bar height and sweep, right peg upgrade

- Second upgrades: protection: rear caliper guard, hand guards, radiator braces, skid plate, heavy tubes, rimlock upgrade, fender bag with parts

- Third upgrade: SUSPENSION! This will make the bike feel lighter, faster, and less work to ride. Re-spring snd re-valve for your weight.

- Fourth upgrade: Power: not just more, but better: full pipe system, pumper carb, side panel cut, HRC kit.

Now go enter baja.

I read XR650.net and there are a few things on uncorking I hope someone can clear up. As I understand it these are the steps.

1. Jettison stock muffler or cut the inside out. CHECK-I've got a Pro Circuit to put on.

2. Re-jet the carb. HOLD-will wait to see how she rides with Pro Circuit and at my 6000ft elevation riding areas.

3. Take rubber boots out of the airbox. CHECK-done.

:confused: HERE IS WHERE I'M CONFUSED (where is this part located? Is this the rubber boot that allows the carb to connect to the engine?)

4. Replace the stock manifold with part number 16211-MBN-640.

Yes that is the piece.

The first thing to tell someone who bought one?

:confused: "CONGRATS!" :excuseme:

I agree with the previous posts.

There is a lot info on this site. I have found myself going back through the previous pages and reading old topics.

if hes using the stock carb, tell him to practice clearing it out when he falls! it sucks to be on the side of the trail kicking for days if you don't know how to clear out the carb correctly, either that or go with the eddie. and suspension is a big one as well

Gents, I've got the carb off and found that I don't need a new intake. Looks like the original owner derestricted the thing. Here are my concerns I need help with. Yes the novice is I, or rather newbie owner of the BRP, whereas all other bikes have been e-start or 250cc or less.

1. Anyhow, how do I get the needle out of the carb? Need to check what position it's in.

2. Most of my riding is 5-6k feet. For a main he had 172 and for pilot he had 68. Any recommendations for how far down to go?

Not necessarily in this order, but I think each one makes a big difference:

1. Get taller bars. (I got Pro Taper Windham + riser, what a difference)

2. Get a wider seat, if he's going to be going long miles.

3. Get a steering damper.

4. Wider footpegs. Haven't done it myself, but everybody recommends it.

4. Get fit. It's a physically demanding bike, and the stronger you are, the more you'll get out of it.