Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
123BigcoopDawg576

88 xr600

5 posts in this topic

Couple Questions:

can the drum break be converted to disk?

Unknown condition...it was given to current owner who says it seems to run good as it has been sitting for 5-6 years. he said he changed spark plug and cleaned carb and started right up. would this make a good daily commute bike sm style oh and is 600 bucks a good price? its got an Alaska plate that i can transfer in to ca

thanks

Aaron

It's disc front and drum rear. $600 is a smoking deal if it is in good shape.

By the letter of the law you can't plate it. That doesn't mean that some are able to get a plate. If you can get it running well you should be able to get around $1000 for it even with no plate.

It's disc front and drum rear. $600 is a smoking deal if it is in good shape.

By the letter of the law you can't plate it. That doesn't mean that some are able to get a plate. If you can get it running well you should be able to get around $1000 for it even with no plate.

im not worried about the plating part as i plated my 06 wr450 myself! and plus it currently has an alaska plate which i can transfer in no problem!

and here is a picture

0102020116120104122008031567aadd963.jpg

I saw that bike on craigs. I'm also in san diego. You should be able to transfer the plate especially if it's not lapsed in reg. I'd thought that any plating of bikes newer than early 2004 was difficult and if it did slip thorugh, the dmv was taking them back after they caught on.

Anyway, I've got an 89 and after looking at my brother's 93, there'd be alot of cutting and welding of both the steel frame for a different brake pedal/resivor and the aluminum swinger for the mounting. You'd need a different wheel too. Also, after riding both, I find the drum works just fine on the dirt. FWIW, I am a newb and come from a street backround so I don't use a ton of rear brake (yet?).

I'd thought that any plating of bikes newer than early 2004 was difficult and if it did slip thorugh, the dmv was taking them back after they caught on.

As far as I can tell only a very small number of bikes have had the plates revoked. Mostly it has been dealer conversions that were done before delivery of a new bike.