HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaj 243

Check out my WR426...Flattracker!!!

23 posts in this topic

Got my baby almost together for the upcoming '08 Flat track season, and was so excited with the new add ons that I figured some of you might like to see it!

Started life as a bone stock low hour '01 WR, but now has different cams, exhausts, mild engine mods, and all the necessary changes to run flat track. Here she is! Still waiting on the Ron Wood Racing intake (ditches the whole airbox). All work was done by myself only, I laced the wheels, built the motor, lowered valved and set up suspension, everything. Its like a kid to me!

HPIM0693.jpg

Last year I ran a bone stock motor, on original piston still (7 years on it:eek: ), with a mx style exhaust. I had people commenting on the way it ran on the big half mile (Lebanon Vally in NY), thinking it was highly modified. Wait till this year! Heres some pics from last season:

roostinathv.jpg

show_image4.jpg

Lafrance.jpg

Anyone else who has a dirttracker, i'd love to see it! :confused:

Thats really cool:thumbsup:

Whats the advantage of running that type of exhaust (lower/longer) over a conventional or more stock set up?

The power is amazing over a MX style...i'm guessing between the length of the pipe achieved by running in the way it is and the overall diameter really opens up these engines. Another big benefit is the lower weight centralization. The lower the weight is the better, and thats a big chunk of steel to lower below the bike.

Nice bike. I have an old 99 YZ 400 I converted with R6 forks and special triple clamps. Heres a couple pics of my daughter racing. Shes 12 yrs old in the pics.

100_4014.jpg

100B1980.jpg

I would love to try flat track

I dont think I have the balls to slide around that hard dirt at speed

Do they ever run an open practice?

Im guessing the rims are 19 inch.

I can steal the rear rim from my YZ but I would have to lace up a 19 for the front.

Is there a 21 inch dirt track tire or is that silly?

I would have to go out on the track after Matt James daughter pulled off. It would be bad enough getting waxed by a girl,but a 12 year old girl would just crush my fragile ego.

She must be a tough chick to be racing a 400 4 stroke

Maxpower,

There are tracks that allow 21" knobby up front, (don't make 21" dirttrack tire) but not a fun ride. When you ride a bike setup correctly for dirt track it wants to fall into the corner and kick the back end out. Bad setups hurt.

Unfortunately, here in Washington, most of the tracks are gone. Practice is the day of the race. For wheels, 19" front and rear are the norm and a must to get the correct tires. Its hard to believe, but when you are trying to go fast, you have to try and keep from sliding. Kind of a two wheel drift is the best way to discribe it.

Thats a nice looking 400. I've been keeping my eyes open for some AandA clamps to set my bike up with some R6 forks. That would bring my wheelbase close to the 54" mark where i'd like to be. I've made alot of changes to the bike since I took those pics, I'll have to update it soon. Hopefully I can break her in at Mototown before the first race of the season:ride:

The guy who made my clamps made himself a set and I believe extra sets that he still has. They are top notch cnc machined and much nicer than A&A's. They come with number plate mounts to. If your interested I can talk to him and see if there are still some left and what they cost now.

On another note, that track looks very inviting with the moisture in it. We lost all of our cushion tracks and are down to blue groove garbage. When I was alot younger, I used to go to the tracks in Ohio, they were fun. Heres one of my old triumphs that still runs well.

750-triumph-3.jpg

Just trying to understand this front tyre set up , why is the tyre wide when a speedway (solo bike) front tyre is very narrow , is it that the track surface is harder in flatrack ,or you want it to slide too?,what is the difference ?

Here is a picture of my 03 YZ450. I had the bike laying around so I figured why not. I run it on the ice in the winter.

Most guys take the rear rim on a YZ and put it on the front and put a wider rim on the back.

P1010009-2.jpg

Just trying to understand this front tyre set up , why is the tyre wide when a speedway (solo bike) front tyre is very narrow , is it that the track surface is harder in flatrack ,or you want it to slide too?,what is the difference ?

The front tire choice is because of rules. This setup was for indoor 1/8 track

that has varied track conditions (hard and deep soft). You do want the front to be able to slide if need be.

Damn!! Nice toys! Grew up between MX where ever and Ascot track . Triumph 650TT ,and Bultaco 250Astro ,and the normal assortment of mx bikes . Once Ascot closed ....no more sideways playing..till I tank slapped at the motocross track,lol .

Thats a nice looking 400. I've been keeping my eyes open for some AandA clamps to set my bike up with some R6 forks. That would bring my wheelbase close to the 54" mark where i'd like to be. I've made alot of changes to the bike since I took those pics, I'll have to update it soon. Hopefully I can break her in at Mototown before the first race of the season:ride:

My buddy still has 4 sets of these clamps. They come with top and bottom triple clamps, fork stem that uses the stock yamaha bearing, handle bar mounts and number plate mounts. Heres a picture of the set he has been using on his bike. With R6 straight axle forks the trail is about 4.00 inches.

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

Matt, if you would PM me his info that would be great! I am finishing my '02 250f dirttracker tomorrow, i'll have to throw some pics up. I built that for me to practice on and do tt's with, and my Dad keeps throwing the idea of racing around (never got a chance to as a kid). Thanks for posting pics of your rides everyone. Its nice to see other people into flattrack, as motocross and such seem to get all the attention.