How Long is your Dipstick???

Not that one, the one in your bike!

My bike is an '00 XR650L, and it originally came to me about a month ago with one of the XR's Only temperature dipsticks. I did not receive the OEM "plain" dipstick.

The one which came with the bike had some oil under the glass, which made it difficult to read sometimes. So I order a new one from XR's Only, and to my surprise it is about 2" longer than the one which came with the bike. Here's a picture of the one on the bike when I bought it:

267556193_4Qfw4-L-0.jpg

Note that the "shaft" is 4.5" long, where the new one is 6.5" long. I emailed XR's Only, and they said the one I ordered was the correct one.

Could one of you guys confirm the length of your dipstick? This has obvious ramifications on the oil level which has been run in the bike for I-don't-know-how-long, and how I'll run it in the future.

Thanks, from a new BRP owner.

Tom

Thank you! I guess that the bike has been running with too high an oil level, probably for some time!

Now time to correct that situation.

Oh, and BTW: I know it has been asked before at what temp the XR650L should run. According to the instructions with the dipstick, normal operating range is 250-300 deg. F.

Thanks again,

Tom

Thank you! I guess that the bike has been running with too high an oil level, probably for some time!

Now time to correct that situation.

Oh, and BTW: I know it has been asked before at what temp the XR650L should run. According to the instructions with the dipstick, normal operating range is 250-300 deg. F.

Thanks again,

Tom

Mine runs at 250-270 during the summer heat. I would be a little concerned with anything over 275. Now its 30-60 deg. F here, and will stay 230-240 on the highway.

You shouldn't hit 280-300 unless you're doing long sandpits climbs at almost full throttle, teraflex rear tire, 90-degree day.

Dave

You shouldn't hit 280-300 unless you're doing long sandpits climbs at almost full throttle, teraflex rear tire, 90-degree day.

Dave[/quote

We often ride in 100-110 deg. temps.

my temps are about the exact same as Martins, 275 may not be what you would like but its not gonna kill it that fast, i only go 1000 miles between changes and maybe less in the summer depending on how much i ride in the hot hot heat.

my temps are about the exact same as Martins, 275 may not be what you would like but its not gonna kill it that fast, i only go 1000 miles between changes and maybe less in the summer depending on how much i ride in the hot hot heat.

Good point DENN. These temps are OK, as long as you do an oil and filter every 1,000 miles... No prob.:confused:

I had mine hit 300 at a stoplight in traffic in Seattle last summer. About an 85 degree day and not a breath of air. Once onto the freeway about 220-250, I had no wings on at the time. I have since re-installed them.

Now it's approximately 50 degrees out, and I get highs of 180 to the low 190degree temps on extended highway at 55-65 MPH.