Seal Savers ????

Hey guys, I was going to put some sort of seal saver of the forks of my 06 WR450 and wanted some opinions, are they good? hard to clean? high maintenance? what kind is best? i see some on zip ty racing i was thinking on getting for 20.00

Seal%20Savers.jpg

I tried the velcro type didn't like them. Got the long Tusk savers cut them in half and now have two pairs. Ran one set all last season with no problems and have just took them off and put on the second set for this year. Have had no problems with my seals while some of my friends without savers have already had to replace the seals.

I've had a set of the seamless ones on since I bought my bike back in May 07 I've had no dramas with the seals after 1600k's of riding in sandy, muddy conditions. I think they're a good idea so long as they're cleaned pretty regulary.

I've had a set of the seamless ones on since I bought my bike back in May 07 I've had no dramas with the seals after 1600k's of riding in sandy, muddy conditions. I think they're a good idea so long as they're cleaned pretty regulary.

+1 on the regular cleaning.

I use the Ballards Seal Savers, which require the forks to be removed to fit.

Still bust a fork seal with them though.

With the seamless ones you just roll them back over themselves and wash them out. I had a set of the velcro on seal savers several years ago and the problem with them is that the dirt that gets behind the area with the velcro acts like a sanding block on the fork tube - not good. For the type of riding we do here in the rockies I wouldn't ride without them. WR Dave.

:confused: thanks for the response WRDave, I just assumed you were using them full length, but I like the sound of that and i will give it a go. techmc all i did with my fork guards was to bend them out sort of straight so that when they sprang back they didnt rub on the seal savers just giving a little more clearance, crude but it worked.

Hey Techmc, the first thing I see that may be causing your issues is that you have the seal savers "over" the fork guard slider rings. Take the slider rings out from under the seal savers and put them over the seal savers so they can do the job they were designed for, giving the fork guards something to slide on that isn't the seal saver! Also just use a heat gun to warm up the fork guards and hold them open with a baseball bat or something untill they cool to a better shape. 2 years is a long time to wait for an answer!!!!!! My .02 -- WR Dave.

Got no responses that were any good, but how are you guys doing it??? See my post couple of years ago, cant keep them on my 06 yz250 would like to but see here what they do!!!!:confused:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410324

Techmc

I had the same problem. There just isn't much clearance between the guard and the seal saver. The heat gun didn't work too well. The guards are pretty thick plastic and it kept bouncing back. So I strapped a softball inside the guard and then hit it with the heat gun. Let it sit over night. Did it a couple of times, really got the guard hot. Now I have enough clearance, no more rubbing on the seal saver.

• Like 1