Questions About XR650L's Clutch...

Bought a slightly used (~1,500 miles) 2001 XR650L recently and other than the fugly battery box I only have one complaint...the clutch feel.

I've adjusted the freeplay in the cable/lever but from the point the clutch begins to grab to full engagement is very short and difficult to modulate...is this normal? ...any way to improve it's feel? ...or do I have a problem?

TIA

:confused:

Bought a slightly used (~1,500 miles) 2001 XR650L recently and other than the fugly battery box I only have one complaint...the clutch feel.

I've adjusted the freeplay in the cable/lever but from the point the clutch begings to grab to full engagement is very short and difficult to modulate...is this normal? ...any way to improve it's feel? ...or do I have a problem?

TIA

Heres a thread from a couple years back discussing this.

Also Magura makes a hydraulic conversion kit.

Heres a thread from a couple years back discussing this.

where's the thread??? :confused:

It might just be a little sticky from very little use- it might loosen up on its own.

Dave

I think I would install a new clutch cable and adjust per spec. Doubt the clutch itself is worn at all.

the MSR Pro Raptor is interesting...

the pull weight(force required) is not really the problem but rather the engagement length is too short...but maybe the pull weight is contributing to the overall feel/problem...

the MSR lever buy changing the angle/fulcrum wud increase the "throw", lessen the pull weight and wud get rid of the clutch bypass switch but i wud also lose the mirror mount which i use for a little "peep mirror" ...a hydraulic clutch wud be sweet also.

i'll see if i can get use to the "feel" before making the change...

thx for the info...

I never noticed a problem. Have had a slippage issue from a worn clutch lever piviot hole and bolt not allowing the cable to fully retract. Could it be the extra tall 1st gear you are not used to?

RH