08WR: how to raise handle bar???

I’m 6 foot tall without shoes. I want to raise the bar on my 08WR. The bar just feels way to low for my comfort when I’m hill climbing and standing. So I tend to squat and that tires me out. What’s a good way to raise the bar??

Can I use rubber mounts without replacing the triple clamp?

I know that there are a few options. So all input is welcome.

PS I do kinda like the bend on my protapers so I'd like to keep them :confused:, but if you want to recomend a bar with more rise thats fine too.

I used a set of renthals on my race utility quad (kodiak). I bought the lower half of the bar mounts for a Yamaha Wolverine and put in some longer bolts. That raised them up about 2" just enough to clear the tank. I would think you could do that on a bike also, your biggest problem may be cable lengths.

I’m 6 foot tall without shoes. I want to raise the bar on my 08WR. The bar just feels way to low for my comfort when I’m hill climbing and standing. So I tend to squat and that tires me out. What’s a good way to raise the bar??

Can I use rubber mounts without replacing the triple clamp?

I know that there are a few options. So all input is welcome.

PS I do kinda like the bend on my protapers so I'd like to keep them :confused:, but if you want to recomend a bar with more rise thats fine too.

If you plan on adding a stabilizer now might be a good time to consider it as the Scotts setup raises the bar 1 inch. I believe the GPR setup also raises the bar about an inch.

You should buy a bar for every rise, reach and sweep angle they make, and then swap them out on each ride till you find the one that fits your style.

Or lower the legs in the triple clamps, and add some sag to the rear spring.

here's a good view of the raise of a scott's sub mount . you can put one on without the damper.

DSC00888.jpg

here's a good view of the raise of a scott's sub mount . you can put one on without the damper.

did a one inch rise feel like a lot....?

I put the Scotts damper and sub mount on my 07 WR450 and have loved the rise that I got out of the bars. I am only 6' but it made a huge difference in standing for me.

I am 5'11 and I also added the Protaper bars with the Windham bend. The Scott's sub-mount added 25mm (1 inch) and the new bars added another 17mm (just under 3/4 of an inch). This is all over the stock height. Riding while standing is much easier and riding while sitting is fine as well. I try to stand much more.

I am 5'11 and I also added the Protaper bars with the Windham bend. The Scott's sub-mount added 25mm (1 inch) and the new bars added another 17mm (just under 3/4 of an inch). This is all over the stock height. Riding while standing is much easier and riding while sitting is fine as well. I try to stand much more.

So you added about 1 3/4 inch just wondering if the stock cables work ok or did you have to change them,thanks

Looks like the reviews are good. I'm 6'4" and never even thought baout raising the bar height. Now you have me thinking, maybe with is why I get tired when standing. I am not really tired just uncomfortable after a while.

don't look to me for insite....:confused: because I'm not a good rider (I even get passed buy guys on quads every once in a while :excuseme: ) and I'm a bit top heavy. I was just thinking that the bar is to low for me to get any real leverage from it when I'm standing.

I feel like I've really got to stretch to be able to crack the throttle open. I can hold myself steady by gripping the tank with my knees. but I get the feeling I'm going to fall over the bars if I grab any brake.

I put the Scotts damper and sub mount on my 07 WR450 and have loved the rise that I got out of the bars. I am only 6' but it made a huge difference in standing for me.

Does the stabilizer make a big difference in ride?

Also, did your stock cables still work?

Thanks,

It did not feel like alot . but it feels more like I'm used to . early 90's bikes. as far as the damper goes I think Mine has saved my butt a few times . by slowing it down it seems to give just a bit more time to react . I know when I dumped mine on the road it gave me time to set it down on a nice e-z low side rather then just getting thrown off.

a dumb question but wanted to check....the stock pro tapers on the '07 are 1 1/8" aren't they?

yes they are.

I always run the GPR under bar mount with a CR high renthal fat bar. I am on 5'10" tall and would never ride any shorted. I just bought an '08 wr450f and will put the setup on that bike too. I ride better with tall bars and standing up and would never ride without a damper.

So you added about 1 3/4 inch just wondering if the stock cables work ok or did you have to change them,thanks

The stock cables work fine. A friend tried to go wider on his bars and he ran into a problem.

IMG_5978.jpg