400 or 426 or 450

I've owned a bunch of bikes in the past...mostly 2T YZ's and LOVED them but am looking at getting a '00 WR400. It's the right price, sounds like what I've been looking for and believe me I've looked at everything from red to green to yellow (not Austrian or Italian though... can't justify the mula). :confused:

My only question for you wise blue-blooded riders is: Should I try to pry the wallet open a bit more and invest in a 426 or even a 450 (do the improvements/changes warrant it) or is a well maintained 400 not far off the mark?

Cheers

Get the latest model bike you can afford.

The WR400's are a beast of a bike, serious fun, but are getting old. If you can find one that has had a recent full rebuild (with proof!) for cheap, it might be the go.

I have a 2000 WR400 and love the bike.

Nearly a bomb proof motor as long as you maintain it.

Only reason I would want a later model is for the e-start. But mine kicks starts pretty well so it's not a big deal.

The '00 is an improvement over the '98 and '99, the 426 is better and the 450 is even better. But if it's well maintained and in good shape, there's no reason not to get it especially if the price is right. Then again, I'm biased with a 9-year-old WR400 with close to 30,000 miles on it.