HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrailRiderXRL

650R DS battery?

16 posts in this topic

My BD DS battery on my XRR is dead. I'm looking for a replacement and was wondering whats available other than the stock BD one. Any with higher capacity?

Thanks

The BD battery is just 10 AA NiCad cells. You could just roll your own with some larger capacity cells. You can also use NiMh cells instead of NiCad for more capacity. NiCads are a little more tolerant of abuse than NiMh.

Another possibility is a GelCell. However these are larger and it might be hard to find a spot for it.

You can get good batteries here www.batteryspace.com, click on "robot batteries". As Cleonard points out, you can make your own. I use 10 nimh 2200 milliamp hour batteries, stick them together with a hot glue gun, use #14 automotive wire to solder them together in series and wrap the pack in a couple of layers of 3M electricians tape.

You can get good batteries here www.batteryspace.com, click on "robot batteries". As Cleonard points out, you can make your own. I use 10 nimh 2200 milliamp hour batteries, stick them together with a hot glue gun, use #14 automotive wire to solder them together in series and wrap the pack in a couple of layers of 3M electricians tape.

Cool! I was going to take my battery apart see what it was made of! I'll plan on trying this out for myself! Thanks for the great info!

ahhh i remember the days of RC cars and those shrink wrapped battery packs

ahhh i remember the days of RC cars and those shrink wrapped battery packs

Yeah...talk about a high dollar hobby. Big investment, no return!

Yeah...talk about a high dollar hobby. Big investment, no return!

Oh god...

I've got 1500.00 wrapped up in RC10GT, and 1000.00 in my VSPEC Thunder Tiger 1/8 nitro buggy..:confused:

They just sit now...

Oh god...

I've got 1500.00 wrapped up in RC10GT, and 1000.00 in my VSPEC Thunder Tiger 1/8 nitro buggy..:sweden:

They just sit now...

I had about $1500 stuck in a T-Maxx then I decided it was time to cut my losses, after it sat unused for about a year, and traded it to a guy for a 1976 CB360 in pretty good shape. I knew the old Honda would just increase in value. Then I decided it needed a friend so I bought another. Thinking about turning the latter one into a little cafe style bike. Gotta love the parallel twins.:confused:

Isn't it weird how almost every thread spins off on a tangent somwhere along the line...so how's the weather out there?:excuseme: Maybe we all have ADD or was that ADHD or maybe ADT...ODB...you down with OPP???...:excuseme:

I had about $1500 stuck in a T-Maxx then I decided it was time to cut my losses, after it sat unused for about a year, and traded it to a guy for a 1976 CB360 in pretty good shape. I knew the old Honda would just increase in value. Then I decided it needed a friend so I bought another. Thinking about turning the latter one into a little cafe style bike. Gotta love the parallel twins.:confused:

Isn't it weird how almost every thread spins off on a tangent somwhere along the line...so how's the weather out there?:excuseme: Maybe we all have ADD or was that ADHD or maybe ADT...ODB...you down with OPP???...:excuseme:

Yeah...

I'm supposed to be steering everyone away from doing that, but look what happened!

I like to let it go a little. Humour is good for this forum I beleive.

i just sold my Ofna stadium truck on ebay last month, wasnt using it for crap so off it went like all my junk

LOL....

Maybe I can steer us back to the discussion :confused:

Is there a battery that work best for this type of application? I here good things about Sanyo eneloop's!

I was just looking at a T-Maxx the other day and thought it would be a cool hobby. The ad space at the moment above the reply field is for NitroRCX go figure!!!

Thanks for the link!

Will any rechargeable AA battery work? I plan to get some today!

As mentioned before I would stick with the NiCad or Nimh batteries. If my memory is correct the Nimh batts are a little more friendly when it comes to charging cycle and not developing a memory. In comparison, the NiCad batts need to be cycled (drained completely and then charged fully) for optimal service. On your bike, you prob won't notice except for in overall service life. This info dates back to my r/c days where you need your batt packs to be in optimal condition for voltage output and usage time. You won't go wrong with either choice, IMHO. Which ever you choose to get, try to get the ones with the highest mAh. 2200-2500 is what you are shooting for. There are some cheaper ones available with a lower output and wont stay charged as long. And remember the rechargables are 1.2v so you'll need 10.

There are some alkaline & lithium ion batts out there, but I would stay away from those.

As mentioned before I would stick with the NiCad or Nimh batteries. If my memory is correct the Nimh batts are a little more friendly when it comes to charging cycle and not developing a memory. In comparison, the NiCad batts need to be cycled (drained completely and then charged fully) for optimal service. On your bike, you prob won't notice except for in overall service life. This info dates back to my r/c days where you need your batt packs to be in optimal condition for voltage output and usage time. You won't go wrong with either choice, IMHO. Which ever you choose to get, try to get the ones with the highest mAh. 2200-2500 is what you are shooting for. There are some cheaper ones available with a lower output and wont stay charged as long. And remember the rechargables are 1.2v so you'll need 10.

There are some alkaline & lithium ion batts out there, but I would stay away from those.

NiMh are higher capacity and don't develop "memory", but NiCad is more tolerant of abuse. That said since NiMh are rather cheap, just replace them when they fry.

Stay away from lithium without proper charging circuits. NiMh or NiCad might get hot and die with improper charging. Lithium explode and catch on fire.

The easy thing to do is just get 2 six cell RC car packs. Take them and make one 10 cell pack. Either that or get 10 individual cells and solder them up. you need to use the proper technique when soldering to batteries. It is easy to over heat them and destroy the seals. Then they dry out and quit. If you can get batteries with tabs attached it makes it a lot easier to solder them up and not hurt them in the process.

Here is an example at batteryspace. Enough to make two packs. the Batteryspace stuff is low end. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=64

For some good quality ones check here. Not as cheap, but good. They will also make the packs for you for not too many $$$. http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=1043921&pgid=loosecells&chem=NIMH