HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krannie McKranface

Ride report: ESP suspension revalve and spring

9 posts in this topic

XR650R:

New .49 & 11.0 springs from Eibach , and new fork re-valving from Exceptional Suspension Performance (ESP) in Tujunga California.

Well, as usual, George and crew did a great job. The bike is transformed into what I'm sure Honda would like all their customers to experience: properly set up for my weight and riding style!

I had him set up the valving for 'dual sport' use, and it is ultra balanced and predictable on the street and trails.

Highly reccomended.

Springs: 90/110.00

Valving: 324.00

How much do you weigh? I recently had precision concepts do my suspension on my 96' XR600 for mainly desert riding (whoops, ect.) they installed .43 & 10.5. I weigh 220 and the front still seems extreamly soft. I know the race tech site recommended spring wieghts similar to what you installed. I'm just wondering if PC missed it with my weight.

What did they tell you for sag settings? Ive never heard anything bad about ESP, i had RG3 do my YZ before and truthfully i didnt see alot of difference, maybe it was the fact that i ate crap early in one race and was pissed and on fire, won both classes that day LOL

I hear great things about RG3 work, but the work on my used XRR (came with valving and springs) were terrible. Could just have been worn out.

I am 6'4" 270 with gear.

what sag do they recomend? just curious what the Rs use, if its the norm 95-105mm or not.

I haven't gotten to settingthe sag yet; still fiddling with Edle tuning, pipe fit, speedo bracket conversion, cable lengths, lighting issues, etc.

As I recall, for pure dual sport I liked 115 on my old bike, and 100 for crazy desert stuff. I like to use all the travel when I ride, so I choose the heaviest springs I can make work, with soft clicker settings. This keeps the fork/shock up high more often, giving me the Caddilliac ride. I usually soft-bottom out the rear on g-outs, and mistake jumps, once or twice a ride.

PC recommended a race sag of 100mm for my 'R'. They have a 180 day guarantee on their work so I think I'm going to go back and ask 'em what can be done. Not meaning to hijack the thread but the paper work they gave me said 10 clicks on the fork compression damping? Would 10 clicks be on the slower or faster end of the damping spectrum?

PC recommended a race sag of 100mm for my 'R'. They have a 180 day guarantee on their work so I think I'm going to go back and ask 'em what can be done. Not meaning to hijack the thread but the paper work they gave me said 10 clicks on the fork compression damping? Would 10 clicks be on the slower or faster end of the damping spectrum?

That depends on if they describe it like the Honda manual, which is 'clicks out (counterclockwise), from all the way in (clockwise)' clicks.