Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
infsqdldr

new to me XR650L

10 posts in this topic

just picked up a 03 XR650L yesterday. has 3K mi, clarke tank, and white bros pipe. got it for $4K. the dealer wants $7K for a new one in AK. used ones are everywhere in the lower 48, but hard to find up here. the 700mi trip from fairbanks to anchorage was tough, but nice through the denali range. learned alot from reading on this site already, thanks. future necessities planned: 48 rear sprocket, 55 pilot and 165 main jets, dunlop 606 on both, acerbis rally pro handguards, renthal YZF450 atv bars, desmog, carb/airbox mods. got a 60mi drive to work, with gravel roads for 5mi. trails everywhere, but a lot of muskeg. past bikes: 89 YZ125, 91 DR250S, and the 90 sportster bobber. cheers.

Welcome!

Excellent choice. Good luck with it. Lots of very happy owners here. Got any pics?

just picked up a 03 XR650L yesterday. has 3K mi, clarke tank, and white bros pipe. got it for $4K. the dealer wants $7K for a new one in AK. used ones are everywhere in the lower 48, but hard to find up here. the 700mi trip from fairbanks to anchorage was tough, but nice through the denali range. learned alot from reading on this site already, thanks. future necessities planned: 48 rear sprocket, 55 pilot and 165 main jets, dunlop 606 on both, acerbis rally pro handguards, renthal YZF450 atv bars, desmog, carb/airbox mods. got a 60mi drive to work, with gravel roads for 5mi. trails everywhere, but a lot of muskeg. past bikes: 89 YZ125, 91 DR250S, and the 90 sportster bobber. cheers.

Before you decide on jets, what is the elevation there?

1100ft at home, 700-1000ft where id be riding most. i dont think i could carry enough gas to ride down south in the mtns. been having trouble finding a keihn 55 pilot, any links.

I just bought my 55 pilot jet from the Thumper Talk store. They said I got the last one and you would have to buy them in lots of 4 from now on. So I guess they're out unles you want four of them. I tried to buy one from two local Honda shops, one couldn't find a part number for it the other told I shouldn't mess with it and wouldn't even try. There has to be a site online to get one though.

I just got one from a link in another post. I think it was just jets or jets r us or something like that. The jet was about $5.00, the S&H made it $15. I can't remember the post. Anybody?

-Joe

I just got one from a link in another post. I think it was just jets or jets r us or something like that. The jet was about $5.00, the S&H made it $15. I can't remember the post. Anybody?

-Joe

WHAT THE $15 heck no before you spend that tell me and ill pick on up down the street and pop it in an envelop for ya so its only $5.42 . The little podunk shop carries these which is a shock to me but they have a pretty good selection of mains and pilots too.

Congrats on the purchase, I'm a new owner too, xr650r, can't wait to ride, learn and hopefully contribute back to this site.