going to the dunes, help?

i have a '06 yz450f. i need some help on what to do to get it ready for riding in the dunes. i've never rode them before. so far all i have is an 8-paddle tire and a flag mount.

what can i do about my engine breather tube?

i read somewhere about routing it up to the air box. could someone please send me instructions on how to do this.

what about my chain. do i lube it or run it dry i have heard both?

i have also heard that the plastic that protects the rear shock will get in the way of the paddles. how can i fix this?

any other info would be helpful thanks

Use chain lube not chain wax, and romove the plastic that protects your shock, or you can run it but, its a lot cheaper to replace then your shock, but it will get shredded.

You can put duct tape on your spring to keep sand from getting into the the rear shock if your remove the guard.

Just reroute your breather tube through the sub frame near the air box and you will be fine, tape it in place if you want. just avoid starting your bike peaked on a dune with breather hose submerged in sand.

also stick pourous foam in any vent hole to your air box to keep excessive sand from getting into your air filter. use filter skins or replace your air filter if riding for multiple days.

If you dump your bike, (you will) make sure to remove all sand from around engine etc. your bike will get really hot and can overheat if engine is packed with sand. i would run 20W - 50 oil rather then 10w - 40.

Deflate your front tire anywhere from 8 - 10 psi.

make sure your paddles don't rub on your linkage. you want your rear wheel back as far as you can, this will help you from getting speed wobles and swapping out. keep in mind your paddle tire will expand when you are at speed so leave plenty of clearance.

Remeber to stay on the throttle or your front end will dive and you will go over the bars. get out of 1 and 2nd gear and into 3rd and 4th and listen to your engine. our bikes do best around 8000 rpm and not up near the rev limiter. watch out for engine breaking down hills in deep sand. gas it and try to ride it out.

Most importantly don't peak dunes at high speed. if you can't see over the dune expect the worst case scenerio, a 100' drop off on the other side or an idiot in a 900HP sand rail.

would it not be possible to fit a bash/sump guard with side protection like this, then cut your oil breather shorter so it sits back away from being exposed. Heres the link see top pic so you can see what I mean. Not sure if it would work or not but its an idea.

http://utahsportcycle.com/store/yz450fpic.htm

hey JoNeS i already have that exact skidplate. but i think that if i were to cut the hose back then the sand would have even less hose to travel through and i think that would make it worse. does anyone else agree or am i way off? hey thanks everyone for all the advice and links to the pics.

hey JoNeS i already have that exact skidplate. but i think that if i were to cut the hose back then the sand would have even less hose to travel through and i think that would make it worse. does anyone else agree or am i way off? hey thanks everyone for all the advice and links to the pics.

Run your breather tube into the air box to be safe.:confused:

yup i think thats what im gonna do

i just got back from the dunes this week. I ended up removing my mud flap and put multiple layers of duct tape on the shock. It held up great.

I also rerouted my hose. Like what is in the mods sticky to the air box. This also worked great, and was able to get all the parts needed at a local auto shop.

Finally i put extra foam in the air box holes, and made sure my filter was fresh and clean.

Ride hard. it sure is different and takes a bit to get used to, but it sure is fun

i cant wait