Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbsmarty

xr650l hard start when warm

13 posts in this topic

hey guys, ive searched and searched for an answer to a problem ive been dealing with for a while. ive got an 06 xr650l, 4500 miles, daves mods with 158 main and i believe 55 idle. i also have a white bros e2 pipe and uncorked with unifilter. for the last few months ive been dealing with a problem of hard starting after driving around for a while then shutting off for about 10-15 mins. when i then try to start the bike, it just cranks and cranks. finally after a couple of mins it starts. no change with choke on or off. it smells like its got fuel maybe even flooding. only happens warm, fires right up when cold. i had a bad battery and believed it was due to that but recently got a new battery, no change. thanks in advance for your help, i really respect your opinions.

hey guys, ive searched and searched for an answer to a problem ive been dealing with for a while. ive got an 06 xr650l, 4500 miles, daves mods with 158 main and i believe 55 idle. i also have a white bros e2 pipe and uncorked with unifilter. for the last few months ive been dealing with a problem of hard starting after driving around for a while then shutting off for about 10-15 mins. when i then try to start the bike, it just cranks and cranks. finally after a couple of mins it starts. no change with choke on or off. it smells like its got fuel maybe even flooding. only happens warm, fires right up when cold. i had a bad battery and believed it was due to that but recently got a new battery, no change. thanks in advance for your help, i really respect your opinions.

Whats your hot start method? You may want to up your idle screw a bit. Mine will start hot with just a touch of throttle. Not much. Just enough to open the slide a little. Where is your fuel screw set at?

i usually dont touch the throttle, but when it doesnt start, moving the the throttle doesnt make a difference. are you refering to the idle mixture screw with the tab on it? that is on the bottom of the carb. it is out three and a half turns i believe. i followed daves mods when i adjusted it

i usually dont touch the throttle, but when it doesnt start, moving the the throttle doesnt make a difference. are you refering to the idle mixture screw with the tab on it? that is on the bottom of the carb. it is out three and a half turns i believe. i followed daves mods when i adjusted it

3 1/2 turns out is a bit much. Yes that is the fuel screw. Typically on 4 strokes if the screw is in front of the slide, its a fuel screw. If the screw is behind(airbox side) the slide its an air screw. That many turns out MAY mean too small of a pilot jet. Look at this link for more info..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

sorry, i think it is 2.5 turns, 3.5 sounds like too much, i will check out this link thanks. are you thinking im not getting enough fuel when warm or too much?

sorry, i think it is 2.5 turns, 3.5 sounds like too much, i will check out this link thanks. are you thinking im not getting enough fuel when warm or too much?

I was thinking too much. Thats why I suggested trying to open the throttle just a hair to get some more air into the head.

It works well on my L this way. Only I have a FCR on it.

If its genuinely flooded it'll start right up if you crank it with the throttle wide open.

Dave

i do hold it wide open and still doesnt start so maybe its not flooded but starving for fuel, i dont know. i will check the mix screw next, thanks

mmmmmmmm me thinks that the fuel screw is the problem, needs to beta 2 1/4-1/2 oput from bottom and make sure you have a 55 pilot in it. both of mine hot start - at a touch of the button - no throttle at all and pop, idle. IF the bike has sat for say 20-30 mins and it's cool out - I use the choke again and then immediatley take it off upon start.

Well I'm thinking maybe you should check your vavle clearence things get much closer when hot .Maybe holding your vavles open .Hard starting is the first symptom of low comp.

Before I did Dave's mods my bike did the same thing when hot. A quick twist of the throttle when cranking would get it to fire. After doing Dave's with 55/158 [2.5turns out] it fires right up hot and cold.

Does your choke system work properly? Maybe it is getting stuck open and flooding when you try to hot start.

sorry for the delay guys, i havnt touched the bike in about a week. im gunna take a look at it tommorrow and i will check all your ideas. thanks again. :confused:

Ditto on the valve clearance!!Also check the float needle and seat and the correct float hight too while your at it,for it being too high.