Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klxnewguy

How do you take off the rear brake pedal?

12 posts in this topic

I wanted to replace the rear brake pedal. I took the little pin out of the back of the bolt but I can't get that thing to budge? Any ideas on how to get that out? I have an 01 426 that I am going to take apart and clean up. Thanks!

It's probably rusted in place. Try some penetrating oil and force. Make sure you grease it well before puting it back together.

I wanted to replace the rear brake pedal. I took the little pin out of the back of the bolt but I can't get that thing to budge? Any ideas on how to get that out? I have an 01 426 that I am going to take apart and clean up. Thanks!

Put a little heat on it. Use a heat gun, there is an o-ring on the brake pivot bolt and you don't want to melt it using a torch.

I'll give it a shot with something to work on the possible rust and then heat it up a bit. Thanks guys!

You took off the cotter pin, but did you take off the nut too?

I think he means the pivot bolt, which doesn't have a nut.

You can give it a smack with a hammer to help break loose some of the rust as well.Just don't over do it.

Steve

You can give it a smack with a hammer to help break loose some of the rust as well.Just don't over do it.

Steve

If you decided to try this, find a pin punch that will fit inside the Allen socket of the pivot bolt. By doing this, you can be fairly brutal without doing any damage that will matter in any way.

oops rusted in place, time for a new bike! If you can find some, PBBlaster is the best rust breaker I've ever used, amazing stuff!

find a pin punch that will fit inside the Allen socket of the pivot bolt.

pin punch? Im not clear on that

Thanks guys, just some WD 40 and the fact that I had to man up a bit and off she came. No rust. I am going to take the bike down to the frame and powder coat the bad boy. I'll let you know once it's all done!